ARPU Increase Speculation

What would your choice?

• OK with price increase.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Not OK with any kind of price increase. It's already too high.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Get it even more cheaper.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Would pay more if the network performance is improved too.

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Please let me stick to Rs. 10 pm balance like the old times.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lolita_Magnum

ᓚᘏᗢ
ISP
AS17665
AS11158
With the new press release by VI's managing director Ravinder Takkar sharing his views about increasing plan prices for the company's survival.
Airtel has also stressed many times, that it needs an increase ARPU.
What are you views over this?

Price increase will happen. VI survives or not, that is another question but price increase will happen for sure.

According to me this daily data should go away. It is ruining the blue collar or lower worker.

Yes there is fixed data plans but the consumer is being lured towards daily limit plan. This unlimited data is indeed ruining. Example: A worker working on a machine to perform a job will initiate the cycle and take out his mobile phone and watch a video. This is what I have experienced myself. Concentration is on video instead on the machine.

@mikrotik that's quite a one sided view, I'd say, it's not the telcos fault that the man is useless at his job. Tbh.
That aside, it had to happen a day when plans provided are somewhat comparable to developed countries ie. We need to move forward. I still remember by old Vodafone Postpaid days of paying 700+tax for 4GB of data per month and 3000min of call, from a travelling businessman's standpoint that was terrifyingly quite low.

Floor is definitely going back to 250-300 like it before certain carrier. Other than that it's already too expensive for the service quality.

Service quality is low because of multiple reasons:
1. Telcos can't just install Towers. They are blocked by RWAs even after they have all the requisite permissions and approvals.
2. Unlimited data causes network bottleneck.
3. Process of approval is too cumbersome.

I believe one the biggest hurdle telcos do face is limited bandwidth, government is just not giving them enough.

Introduce plan categorisation like in wifi models i.e. pay more for better service, better speeds. For a country like ours 4g, 5g will be a joke where the resource is always in scarcity and everyone wants everything free. I know this will be difficult but they need to come out something along these lines of the two want to survive. Jio will survive anyways.

This "free/cheap" mentality needs to go. People need to realise that telcos are here to make profits not social service. Investments in infrastructure is the only way to have better services and for that money is needed. This low cost model initiated by Jio is only a temperory thing, not to mention they are plush with money. I am certain that if Jio was a standalone entity like Voda, Airtel, Aircel etc we would still be hovering around the pre-2016 prices.

The only thing I credit Jio is for bringing Vowifi and volte to the masses pretty early. For the other two they would have taken their sweet time.

Speed based service one introduced once by airtel, trai was strictly against it so they had to discontinue it.
I'm afraid that sick mentality of free/cheap will stay for a long long time.

Trai, imo, is far from playing the role of a regulator. It's not that people are going to be denied with access to mobile data if speed based service comes into existence. If we are to go by trai's logic that every data user should get 100mbps speed, I don't see services improving in future. Our tele density is among the highest in the world, to maintain such level of services you need money... Lots of it.
I am still curious how much speeds or coverage will we have 2-3 years after 5g matures. 4g has given me the trailer, waiting for the full picture. 😉

With online classes and everything decent amount of data has become a necessity as a lot of households still depend on mobile data only.

I was maintaining Excel sheet for past 8-9 years in which I entered monthly mobile recharges/bills paid. It was gradually increasing until I got Jio. After taking Jio as secondary sim, my primary sim didn't need any recharge and few years back I only recharged it once for Rs 100.
But again in last 12-18 months mobile expense is increasing (partly also because of Work from Home, I have taken multiple connection).
I am sure average expense for Smartphone user would be > Rs 150 in coming days.

It would be a big deal for prepaid users I guess, not so much has change for post paid users in terms of price bracket.