Are Tata/Airtel backbones congested right now?

• Thread starter Thread starter sumantrab99
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 3,703
@achaudhary997 I've been thinking the same too recently. These small-time ISPs buy small bandwidth from Tata/Airtel, and then go on overselling the connection. They peer with some cheap IX, thinking that will take care of most of the traffic. This results in poor performance from all non-peered sites and international servers.
This is the most accurate description of my experience with Excitel.

I totally agree with what Mickey7 said. Tier-1 ISPs are not available everywhere. Even in my city, there are some locations where there is only one ISP, that too provided by some local cable guy over cat-5e ethernet connected to a 100Mbps switch on the pole. There's no BSNL, Jio, Airtel in these locations.

My friend who stays in Sodepur, just got his connection upgraded to Fiber yesterday. So far, he was on ethernet and the net would go down every time there's a flash of lightning. Now these small-time LCOs, after realizing the benefits of fiber over ethernet are making to move to provide FTTH connections. But even then, they don't have the required expertise or minimum knowledge about how PON works, and they go on splitting and providing connections even at -30 dBm of optical power.

Unfortunately, for me, even though I have some Tier-1 ISPs in my area like BSNL & Jio, I can't buy a connection from them because of my requirements. For the things I do, symmetric speeds with an unlimited data cap, along with the option to buy a static IP are a must.

I'am using GTPL KCBPL Broadband for about 6-7 Months now and having the same bandwidth issue with packet loss which is unacceptable and ruin the internet experience. I've got FTTH using PON but the service is still crappy and there is even RTO (Request Timed Out) in traceroutes of the servers I work on.

I totally agree with what Mickey7 said. Tier-1 ISPs are not available everywhere. Even in my city, there are some locations where there is only one ISP, that too provided by some local cable guy over cat-5e ethernet connected to a 100Mbps switch on the pole. There's no BSNL, Jio, Airtel in these locations.

My friend who stays in Sodepur, just got his connection upgraded to Fiber yesterday. So far, he was on ethernet and the net would go down every time there's a flash of lightning. Now these small-time LCOs, after realizing the benefits of fiber over ethernet are making to move to provide FTTH connections. But even then, they don't have the required expertise or minimum knowledge about how PON works, and they go on splitting and providing connections even at -30 dBm of optical power.

Unfortunately, for me, even though I have some Tier-1 ISPs in my area like BSNL & Jio, I can't buy a connection from them because of my requirements. For the things I do, symmetric speeds with an unlimited data cap, along with the option to buy a static IP are a must.
Totally agree with you even though our LCO's don't know anything about the Optical Power they split the fiber and give connections to multiple customers. Even if someone has -20dB to -22dB of optical power they split it in half resulting in loosing the power to -27dB to -30dB.

This is really terrible.