• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 2,371

amish

Star gazer
I got banned!
ISP
MTNL Mumbai BB_600 @12mbps
So I have made a switch from Fedora to Arch Linux! (after staying with Redhat/Fedora for 15years or so!)

I did not install Arch using usual CD/DVD, I installed through Fedora.

So I am not sure if CD/DVD installation is easy. (But overall installation process should be more or less the same)

For installation via Fedora, it was more or less easy. Only thing they dont have is, automatic partition tool. But then their main motto is "Do it yourself!". So may be they expect user to partition manually. (Their wiki page is very detailed)

Why I made a switch is that from past 1 decade, I keep updating (format and re-install) Fedora every 3 years.

I kept waiting that Fedora might just become rolling release, but it never happened. (Does not likely to happen in another 3-5 years)

I was thinking of switching to Arch few years back but that time Arch did not seem to be mature enough. And things looked way too complicated.

Now it is more or less mature. (Atleast after they switched to systemd)

Their pacman software is still not as good as Fedora's yum. But now reasonably good.

So there, I switched to Arch. No more updating every 3 years!

amish,

thanks a lot for the switch you have made. Most of the Linux users do not even think of installing a rolling distro. It has its own advantages.

I am also a great Linux fan. I have learned Linux on my own, although at a very slow pace. Here is my blog. This might help you.

Fedora Linux Commands

I have downloaded many Linux distros. Here is the list.

Fedora
Ubuntu
Debian
CentOS
Gentoo
Sabayon
Arch
Chakra
Puppy
Vector
Knoppix
DSL
Ubuntu Mini = Lubuntu
==============================================================
BackTrack (Kali)
GParted Live
CloneZilla
dban
SystemRescueCD
Super Grub Disk
Unix(PC-BSD)
Minix
Android OS
Chrome OS
And there are many special purpose Linux distros namely educational, scientific, security, firewall and games etc. Please visit the following site. It has almost all the distros in the world listed.

DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

Thanks a lot.

Yes, rolling release is good. I am always up-to-date. All those serious vulnerabilities like FREAK attack / GHOST / Heartbleed etc. gets taken cared of in a day or two. (most of the times before they are declared to public)

I would recommend every DESKTOP user to switch to Arch linux OR any rolling release. This will keep your desktop safe from all new vulnerability.

I would NOT recommend Arch Linux for servers yet - as it keeps updating way too fast and needs frequent reboots.