Applied for static IP but using Huawei router in bridge mode

nishantt6969

I got banned!
ISP
Airtel Xstream Fiber (300Mbps)
Router : RPi-4B (OpenWrt), TP-Link A6 (AP)
ALL CAPS PENALTY
I asked airtel for static IP today but I am using Huawei router in bridge mode with Tenda one. They will do everything through their end only I guess. So is it going to make any kind of trouble for me to get static IP with bridge mode?

Not sure because static IP is generally against a CPE mac address or subscriber ID. You better talk to Airtel support to check if MAC cloning is essential. In my case the Airtel Nokia router works in dual mode..it establishes a PPPoE connection itself as is default and one LAN port is switched to bridge mode which I use to connect my Asus router. I have switched off wifi on the Nokia and use it as a dumb ONT though I must say I could connect another device via its wifi or LAN port to get another IP/connection. 😉

No I am on dynamic. I don't need a static neither do I want one at least for now. I could get one from Tata Sky for free (IPv6) but I prefer not to get locked down to 1 public IP address.

Dynamic breaks the pppoe connection when it changes.

Yes it does but I am ok with it..because with Airtel my IP remains unchanged for weeks. In case of Tata Sky it changes once in 7-10 days I think.

okay,so when they will be configuring my ont through their end and making it static connection, they will basically reconfigure the WAN settings and fill it with static settings right? And then I can take the credientals from there and put it in my Tenda router which is connected through bridge mode and the tenda one will also have static IP. But the question is, both the routers will have the same static IP? or different? or what?

@nishantt6969 bro you better check with Airtel about the exact method to configure the routers. This seems to vary from CPE to CPE. With subscribers using Nokia they use a very different method of implementing bridge mode unlike what most other ISPs do.

@Chip definately bro, thanks.

@Gokul Kannan but the airtel engineers do not know I am using Tenda one, right. They will simply configure the Huawei router. Then I have to erase settings from huawei and put it in tenda? Talking about the static IP settings.

Isnt it supposed to change at midnight 12 or after that just once? Are you using it that time also ?Mine changes at 4 in the morning , so it is not an issue for me. I guess the BSNL Equipment gets a scheduled restart
@nishantt6969

I guess you can tell your LCO to change the IP lease time if he understands it , so that it changes when you go to sleep instead of buying a Static IP which is unnecessary

Last edited:
LCO has no role in managing the instruments. He doesnt even have access to it.