Apple shipped 62,043 iPhones to India in the quarter ending June 30

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
Apple shipped 62,043 iPhones to India in the quarter ending June 30, or fewer than to Norway, Belgium or Israel, according to estimates by Framingham, Massachusetts-based researcher IDC.

Apple Cedes Surging India Smartphone Market to Nokia-RIM: Tech

GarfieldDC

Regular
Regulars
Dec 14, 2010
apple has to rethink it's india strategy and not treat india as a dumping ground.

It's true that Apple has treated India as a dumping ground when it comes to the iPhone. But things might be changing, if the iPad 2 launch is any indication. We got the iPad 2 just a few months after the US launch. We'll just have to wait and see what happens with the new iPhone launch this month. Hopefully we'll get it in India before the end of the year.

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
iphone 5 this year? unlikely. how would apple and aircel respond? they have spent so much on marketing the iphone 4 and of course they would have purchased a lot of stock that might still be left unsold.apple might launch the rumored iphone 4s faster though.

GarfieldDC

Regular
Regulars
Dec 14, 2010
LOL... I never said iPhone 5, I just said the new iPhone. It could be the 4S or the 5 or both. I guess we'll find out tomorrow. I don't care what Airtel/Aircel think. Apple has to realize that they took too long to to launch the iPhone 4 in India. Most of the people who wanted one had already bought one thru unofficial channels before it even got here. So the sales aren't going to take off. With the launch of the new iPhone tomorrow, people will try to get that thru unofficial channels ands not buy the iPhone 4 which is available here through Airtel/Aircel. They changed their launch strategy for india with the iPad 2. I'm hoping they do the same with the new iPhone(s).

manu1991

Ancient Philospher
Regulars
Dec 9, 2006
Delhi
Apple needs to do a lot more if they want to expand their Indian presence, starting with better advertising and reach. also, maybe make buying of apps easy for people without cards. deducting money directly from carrier? maybe have a subsidized scheme with a contract.

GarfieldDC

Regular
Regulars
Dec 14, 2010
Apple needs to do a lot more if they want to expand their Indian presence, starting with better advertising and reach. also, maybe make buying of apps easy for people without cards. deducting money directly from carrier? maybe have a subsidized scheme with a contract.

I agree they need to make the app purchase experience more simple. I don't think they will ever go in the direction of selling the apps and charging you through your carrier. But a viable option for them is to launch their iTunes cards in India, where you can purchase an iTunes card for a specific denomination and add the credit to your iTunes account using the code in the card. In a country like India a lot of people don't have credit cards and a lot of those that do are not comfortable using them for online transactions.

bbfreak

Regular
Regulars
Aug 6, 2011
@manu Apple is thinking on the line of launching a budget iphone maybe called Iphone4S but no Telecom operator want to sell phone at subsidized rate, coz they knew what happened to Reliance when they launched Monsoon offer and sold phones.

ItsMe

Its Me only.
Regulars
Sep 11, 2007
In a country like India a lot of people don't have credit cards and a lot of those that do are not comfortable using them for online transactions.

Do you really believe the customers who are willing to shell half a lakh for an iphone is not having a credit card?

GarfieldDC

Regular
Regulars
Dec 14, 2010
Do you really believe the customers who are willing to shell half a lakh for an iphone is not having a credit card?

Dude.. Pls read the entire sentence you quoted. The second part of the sentence reads "a lot of those that do (have credit cards) are not comfortable using them for online transactions".

To answer your question, yes, there are people who own a phone that costs half a lakh and don't have credit cards. I have 3 cousins who own an iPhone but don't have a credit card because they are still in college. The phone was gifted to them by a family member. There might be many other users like that out there.