Apple macOS

macOS High Sierra advances storage, video and graphics

Apple today previewed macOS High Sierra, the latest version of the world’s most advanced desktop operating system, delivering new core storage, video and graphics technologies that pave the way for future innovation on the Mac. macOS High Sierra offers an all-new file system, support for High-Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) and an update to Metal, Apple’s advanced graphics technology that powers everything from machine learning to virtual reality content creation. macOS High Sierra also includes a number of refinements to the apps Mac users enjoy every day, including Photos, Safari and Mail.

YIhD4LE.jpg

BK7akxe.jpg

pc6NUCw.jpg

2sX3nIy.jpg

qghxLIN.jpg

So I may have come across an Apple feature that's annoying the living ghosts in me.

I like to work with various desktops. For instance, on the second desktop I have a browser tab and a word document open in tile window mode, split screen mode.

QuaeHbT.png

Now, when I am working on the first desktop and click on a link that I've received on chat or email, it opens on the second desktop, along with the browser window I am working on in split screen mode. I have not found a way yet to disable it and to make it treat different desktops as different workspaces. Even if I have a separate browser window open on the first desktop, any link I receive on chat goes to the second desktop.

God forbid if I want to replace one of the application in the split view, it's another nightmare..

I have managed to create a script which allows me to open a new window whenever I click on it.

y9lJgao.png

Unlike Windows, I can't simply drag a window to the left or right of the screen to enter split view. I gotta hover over the green icon and wait for the menu for Tile Window to shop up, and then keep the other application open at the back in order to enter into the split screen mode.

BLUzxxw.png

Found this nifty app to allows window snapping just like Microsoft Windows. The only limitation is that it the active windows don't enter full screen, but it's a LOT better than what macOS does by default.

Reactions: a.c
Yup. Also another major issue as an FYI is Bluetooth headphone audio balance drift.
It is there atleast in my Intel Mac Pro.
What happens is on high cpu load if you change volume the audio balance gets messed up.
It took me 3 days to figure it head. Had me scared I thought I am loosing hearing in one ear.
Ref and fix using open source app: MacBook Pro Bluetooth Audio balance keeps changing by itself

Last edited:
Btw you can drag your window to either the extreme right or left to split it into 50-50 with full screen on both apps.
It's not instant so try a few times. Though it's as good as useless if you get familiar with the shortcuts of rectangle app

macOS Monterey 12.3.1

macOS Monterey 12.3.1 includes bug fixes and security updates for your Mac.

This update fixes the following issues:
  • USB-C or Thunderbolt external display does not turn on when connected to Mac mini (2018) as a second display
  • Bluetooth devices, such as game controllers, may disconnect from your Mac after playing audio through some Beats headphones

Pro Video Formats

The Pro Video Formats package provides support for the following codecs that are used in professional video workflows:
  • Apple ProRes RAW and ProRes RAW HQ*
  • Apple Intermediate Codec
  • Avid DNxHD® / DNxHR® decoder
  • AVC-Intra 50 / 100 / 200 / 4:4:4 / LT
  • AVC-LongG
  • XAVC
  • XF-AVC
  • XF-HEVC
  • DVCPRO HD
  • HDV
  • XDCAM EX / HD / HD422
  • MPEG IMX