Apple M1 Mac Review

• Thread starter Thread starter Jonas
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 54
  • Views Views 6,069
as i said, it is preferable but not readily available. 5-6 weeks of waiting period after placing order from my understanding. she is not getting into professional photo editing so as long as it works fine for casual usage, it should be fine. i guess if she finds it underpowered for her use after a couple of months, she can pass on the 8GB model to niece and get the m2 16GB later this year. niece is currently using a budget lenovo 2 in 1 and she has already managed to damage the body at multiple places so i doubt it would last for much longer the way she uses it.

price gap between 8gb and 16gb is also quite insane from my understanding. would have been great if it was somehow upgradeable at a later stage. i guess it would require replacement of entire motherboard in this case which is well not really a good option.

Well on low casual usage 8gb should be fine.
Price difference is 20k between both versions.

no m1’s are not upgradable as everything is soldered on motherboard

Ah photo editing, I thought you meant video editing. Photo editing is fine. I imported a 50 mb RAW file into lightroom, edited it and saved it as jpg. Everything was instant. Lightroom subscription also comes with 1TB of cloud storage so files can be stored there.

Cool. Would ask her to get Lightroom subscription. It costs 10K per year with 1TB storage from the looks of it lol. Office 1TB is much cheaper on shared plans though lol.

Yeah but the software is only subscription based so no option if she wants to use it

true. good thing i never got into serious photography. keeping my 50GB dump of photos from Sony DSC-R1 from 15 years ago is headache enough. sold it to get rx100 which i didn't like and then smartphone cameras happened. and those are good enough now.

Might be a good idea for her to get an external SSD then as well. 1TB ones cost around 10k plus they are much smaller than external hdd's

would suggest when the time arrives. the problem is that i know how to handle external drives properly. i also know how to have multiple levels of backups. it is hard to get others to understand this until they lose their data due to mishandling external drives with no offsite backup. it might be just better to get higher speed pen drives and multiple copies. easier to carry around. harder to damage them with random drops and all. and definitely more portable lol.

Photoshop and Lightroom are the renowned photo editing apps for all platforms. Premiere and FCP for video editing.

Last edited:
google tells me that Apple once had an app named aperture. they discontinued it and move some of the features to their native photos app. kind of crazy that adobe has no localized pricing in india like microsoft has. or even google. USD 9.99 plan is available for Rs. 800 per month. I guess they wanted to avoid the scenario where US/Europe based users would just create their accounts in India.