Apple iPhone

i guess the main reason is that they plan to launch the second generation iPhone in these new markets. Apple usually has a plan for everything. and they rarely go wrong.

i heard there is a thing called hiphones in china which come half a price of iPhone and u can barely tell the difference. These hiphones sells like hotcakes

a friend of mine has a nokla N95 bought for about Rs. 5000.

it looks almost same as Nokia n95 (at least when you see from some distance)
& it lacks some key features like wifi, 5 mpix cam (the cam they provide is barely 1.3 mpix though they claim it to be 5 mpix) & some more

^ these chinese phones either work nicely for a few months or they can become a stylish paperweight within 2 days.i guess vodafone could be introducing the iPhone v2 if its coming in september. i hoped it to be earlier than that.

Sources: Vodafone to offer iPhone in India

Bloomberg.com: India & Pakistan

Telecom operator Vodafone will offer the much awaited iPhone in India. The telecom giant has signed an agreement with Apple to sell the iPhone in ten of its markets around the globe.

Later this year, Vodafone customers in India, Australia, the Czech Republic, Egypt, Greece, Italy, Portugal, New Zealand, South Africa and Turkey will be able to purchase the iPhone for use on the Vodafone network.

While the company did not disclose the price of the iPhone but Business Standard had on April 16 this year reported, that the price would range between Rs 27,200 and Rs 28,000. It is expected that Vodafone would launch iPhone by the first week of September. Apple sources in Singapore, when contacted last month, had maintained that the India launch would happen in 2008, but were tight-lipped on the exact date.

The Cupertino, California-based company, according to Apple retail sources, said initially the 8 GB version of the much-hyped touchscreen device — which combines Wi-Fi capabilities with a powerful email client, TV feeds, online music store and map-based location guide — will be launched.

Based on buyer response, the launch of the 16 GB version will be staggered to the middle of 2009. Initial sales targets for the iPhone in India or unit numbers at the time of launch are as yet unavailable, with Apple wary of grey market sales in India.

"The carrier deal for India is being worked out with Vodafone," said an Apple source, adding: "Vodafone could also become the carrier for the Australian market once iPhone is launched there, though more than one carrier is likely for Australia."

Breaking News:

Vodafone has made a contract with Apple to launch their super successful iPhone to Indian market in June 2008.

Report Source: ZEE Business

Nice I guess. It's a sub-par phone, but it'll perform decently in sales because of the people that want to look different from the norm.

Vodafone to sell iPhone in 10 countries including IndiaMobile service provider Vodafone has announced that they have now secured a deal to sell Apple iPhone in 10 markets worldwide.These markets include Australia, India, South Africa, Czech Republic, Egypt, Greece, Italy, New Zealand, Portugal and Turkey.These phones are likely to be sold in a contract package [...]

Vodafone to sell iPhone in 10 countries including India

^ that article says that it will be released later this year.i think its supposed to be september, not june.

a lot of people in india are already using hacked iPhones on airtel, vodafone networks. so thats nothing new.

We know - iPhone is not new. BUT--- Launching it LEGALLY and FORMALLY in INDIA, is a NEWS. NOW people (or hackers) dont have to hack it anymore after JUNE!

People can use it without hacking it. THAT'S A NEWS. :thumbsup: