Apparently this FTTH problem happens to ONLY ME in the ALL of INDIA.

mayank yadav

Regulars
The model is same BSNL is providing to everyone.
ONT Type-A Config Huwaei EchoLife HG850a.
Well no BSNL does not provide the same model to everyone, there are quite a few different ONT's that BSNL is providing.

Although they did give me the same make and model but i was not provided with a battery instead i was given a normal Adapter which you get with all other routers so when you mentioned that he will replace the battery , i thought it might also be the adapter connected to the battery since i had a similar problem and they gave me a new adapter which solved my problem.

Yeah as far as I know there were only 2 configurations Type A and B, so I had no idea they were giving different ONTs.
Anyways, I just had a talk 3 hours later at 2 PM with him, and he said he is going to change my ONT model with a different one (white wala XD) and also change the system from one node to another.
Currently i get power from Nayapura office, he will switch it to vallabhbari office but on Monday and that too only if I remind him by calling.

They don't let me use any 3rd party ONT as well, he said if anything goes wrong with that ONT only you will be 100% responsible and we wont do anything to help.
I wanted to use 3rd party ONT because the Huwaei one seems to be from ancient times, does not even support port forwarding.

I believe that method would only add port forwarding to the AP or Router not the ONT, but anyway i'll give it a shot.

And please also explain to me why Huwaei adds a feature that they don't want the customer to use? If it supports Port forwarding shouldn't we get the add or remove rule page on the router config page??:rolleyes:

EDIT : weeks ago I found this link : Configure Port Forwarding / Virtual Server Routing in Fiber to Home modems

The first answerer claims huawei support team confirms this model doesnt support port forwarding, but the second guy tells a method pretty similar to yours, that is configure the ONT in bridge mode and get the router in PPPoE moed, then add port rules in the router.
Seems Legit, but for now i'll let the BSNL guy do what he said.

Last edited:

Shubham

Regulars
@Bolt I thought BSNL supported third party ont. I know for sure that they support third party adsl modems. I was thinking to apply for ftth so i ma pretty sure the guy ther told me to get an ont or they will provide for it.

@Shubham They do support 3rd party ONTs but my case handler told me that they wont provide any troubleshooting if anything goes wrong with my connection.
So in a way, if your internet doesn't work fine and you are using 3rd party ONT they wont take your complaint unless you get BSNL provided ONT.
Atleast that's what he told me, but then again, he could have told me this because I am already having this issue for over 6 months now and introducing a 3rd party ONT might increase problems for him, because he might not have any experience on other ONTs.

Shubham

Regulars
@Bolt Aha okay I will get this clarified before applying for the connection.

So this is a bit off topic, what are the charges you pay for ONT? Which plan do you have? And are there any additional charges besides the other two mentioned above?

mayank yadav

Regulars
I believe that method would only add port forwarding to the AP or Router not the ONT, but anyway i'll give it a shot.
Actually this method adds portforwarding to the ONT instead of the router since router is connected in bridge mode and all the devices are been assigned the IP address from the ONT.
The first answerer claims huawei support team confirms this model doesnt support port forwarding, but the second guy tells a method pretty similar to yours, that is configure the ONT in bridge mode and get the router in PPPoE moed, then add port rules in the router.
Seems Legit, but for now i'll let the BSNL guy do what he said.
As per my knowledge HG850a does not support bridge mode although i might be wrong but i did research the shit out of it. If there was any way to put ONT in bridge mode and router in pppoe mode then portforwarding wouldn't have been an issue,

It's possible that it might support bridge mode, if you are correct.
If they added port forwarding without listing it in tge router setup page, they probably might have added other featues too.
No way to be sure.

@PRAKASH G
They didn't give me a power supply, instead it's a 12v 4amps battery.
Although I do have fluctuations every now and then but since it's connected to a battery (DC).
But then again the battery is very wierd, because whenever there's a power cut, the battery never keeps the ONT running for even a second, even though it says it has 4 hour backup when fully charged. Its a 2010 model whoes warranty was expired in 2013 but I never really expected a shitty govt. Company to keep me updated with latest tech.
But anyway the battery itself is connected to outlet through 2 multipoint connectors, one of which also has a surge protector inbuilt, so fluctuations should not be an issue.

VOIP has been weird too, when this turn on/off cycle starts it doesn't work and the device simply acts like a dead phone only. When the link/auth are stable it works fine, although during some random times, if I pick up the reciever from handset the VOIP LED turns off, and turns back on if I put back the reciever, so during this time if someone calls me and I pick up the reciever it instantly disconnects the call.