AP gov plans 15 Mbps broadband service at Rs 150/month

• Thread starter Thread starter ssparikshya
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 2,831
150mb fup

This sounds good. Some initiative that makes sense & yes FUP will always be a concern

I can't wait for their "*terms & conditions apply" "FUP limit 15 megabit, beyond which speed is reduced to 512kbit".

Yes, unmetered usage at .5 mbit for 150 Rs. is a good deal, but it bugs me that they'd rather have outrageous and monumentally stupid "fair usage limits"(which are really unfair, tbh), than invest in the proper infrastructure to be able to handle the load. Like Tikona, 3x overselling in my city, but won't add more towers/bw capacity.

They might not have incentive due to the lack of competition, but the situation is pretty similar to the Comcast situation in the US then, and they still over 25mbit unmetered for 55 USD. Hopefully RJio launch might give them more incentive, but that is now kinda like the boy who called wolf story.

USA is very different. Companies collaborate with each other. Divide areas. Stay out of each other's territories. This usually does not happen here in India. Most people have options to pick from. The problem is that all of them are horrible. One good example is that USA does not have a national service provider. Here you are very much likely to find BSNL/MTNL in practically all areas. In fact, if BSNL did not exist, a large part of the country would still have no telephone connectivity.

I think that in India, the companies still do collaborate with each other, only, their collaboration is about being horrible, and setting the bar lower and lower. Because otherwise, one might think that having more options == more competition == more competitive ISPs == better services, but that simply isn't true here. BSNL might be good for phone services, but for internet, I've stayed on their customer care line for 7+ hours twice, on hold.

bsnl for me had better customer support than reliance. automated call center meant that i could file a complaint within 2 minutes. reliance on the other hand keeps me waiting for as long as 20 minutes.

I have had similar experiences with Reliance. I tried BSNL 3-4 years ago though, so maybe things have changed since then.

I can speak for myself. I have zero chance of getting fiber internet in my area because I live in an independent house which already has connectivity from three wired service providers. Companies investing in infrastructure are focusing on societies where they can cover a larger area with as little investment as possible. This means that only newer societies with high rise buildings are likely to benefit from the fresh investments for a while to come.

So the focus needs to be on the government to push the telecom companies to raise their standard of quality for everyone. And one thing that can be done is to implement their own telecom policy on schedule. 2mbps is supposed to become the minimum broadband speed in 2015. Looking at how things are, it might take the government 2-3 years before they can get the telecom operators to accept this.

In my area, there are like 90% bungalows, and I have the Reliance Jio fiber laying work going on right in front of my house. But yeah, I'm in Nagpur, and there are next to no high rise buildings here.

I think they should have 2mbps minimum acceptable speed. For instance, I have a 3.1 mbps Reliance connection, and have yet to see a speed over 1 mbps. 2 mbps should be the minimum speed you get, no matter what, and it should be made the minimum FUP downgrade speed, ie, you can't downgrade below 2mbps beyond FUP usage either. I guess I'm asking for too much though, since BSNL itself has 80kbit speeds post FUP on their 3G plans.

India currently has 512mbps as the minimum broadband speeds. According to Telecom Policy set in 2012, 2mbps is supposed to become the minimum broadband speeds in 2015. This is for wired connectivity. And this does not stop telecom companies from packages with slower speeds. It is just for plans that are marked as broadband.