Anyone tried Google DNS64 for IPv6 only connectivity?

• Thread starter Thread starter tatyasky
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 4,506

tatyasky

I got banned!
ISP
TataPlay & Jio
Google has a new DNS service which allows you to access IPv4 only websites through IPv6 only network.

I disabled IPv4 stack from LAN adapter properties and added those two Google DNS64 to IPv6 stack. Surprisingly, I was able to access IPv4 based domains like timesofindia. However this doesn’t work on Jio. Maybe someone can try on other IPv6 enabled ISPs.

I was unable to connect to Xbox live despite Microsoft’s fake claims that it is IPv6 compatible. But Windows has hardcoded IPv4 instead of domain to connect to, this DNS64 approach won’t work. This is the next logical step towards IPv6 only future. YMMV.

For IPv4 only site, ping test looks like this

1s6eFYU.webp

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, it does not work in Jio. It's kinda similar to Cloudflare WARP if you have the endpoint as '[2606:4700:d0::a29f:c001]:2408' instead of the domain provided.

BTW for some mysterious reasons, Utorrent as well as Xbox is reporting Open NAT now.

I verified it by turning off DNS64 and rebooting and then enabling it again. When DNS64 disabled, I get Moderate NAT and Port closed.

dhwdr0T.webp

dadOfGp.webp

Last edited by a moderator:
@jelegend As mentioned in the Google Dev Docs.
Google Public DNS64 is intended for use only on networks with access to a NAT64 gateway using the reserved NAT64 prefix 64:ff9b::/96
The prefix comes under the Local-Use IPv4/IPv6 Translation Prefix, cited here and hence they are not a public address space and need special configuration for an Internet Client to access them.
Jio has no access to such gateways or maybe didn't configure for the following on their network.

Last edited:
Try these Public NAT64 DNS as well. Much better than google for variety of reasons.
@Lolita_Magnum

These Public NAT64 are working on Jio as well.

2a00:1098:2c::1
2a01:4f8:c2c:123f::1

However, Pings are high but workable. You can switch to pure IPv6 with the above. Xbox Live doesn't work on these because of Boneheaded decision to hardcode IPv4 instead of a domain into Windows itself.

I don't see any reason to use this at the moment.
Seems your mentioned NAT64 are using hetzner to reroute data.
13456300833.png
1.png

Last edited: