• Thread starter Thread starter demonicult
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 6,024

demonicult

unspecified
ISP
MTNL
Hey,I wanted to know if anyone uses the HG520 wireless router provided by MTNL? This wi-fi router isn't that good so wanted to know if setting up QoS ( Quality of Service ) on this router is worth?The firmware is Trendchip firmware and isn't really that good. So if anyone has setup a QoS on this router, do let me know how is it and how did you do it?You did it for a particular port or for a range of connections?Thank you.

I have the same wifi modem but do not know what QOS is? can u please give an insight!

If you upload the Status device Info page as a screenshot,
can suggest and try to improve performance.
http://mtnldelhi.in/services/con_s.doc
Go to Firmware menu page and BACKUP present settings to a ROM FIle.

Then if changes are made , and internet is Lost functioning
can be restored from BACKUP file.

QOS; If unchecked , just select it. Feel any improvement!!!

Enable Quality Of Service

Enabling packet level QoS for a PVC improves performance for selected classes of applications.
QoS cannot be set for CBR and Realtime VBR.
QoS consumes system resources;therefore the number of PVCs will be reduced.
Use Advanced Setup/Quality of Service to assign priorities for the applications.

I have the same wifi modem but do not know what QOS is? can u please give an insight!
I could try to explain you this, in layman's terms QoS ( Quality of Service ) is making sure that your internet traffic(bandwidth) is given to the required software when needed.
For example, you have a fairly good MTNL plan, 2mbps connection. Now usually for a good MTNL line you gonna get around 220kbps download speed and around 40-50kbps upload speed.
Lets assume you are on a skype call and you want to watch a video, with a 2mbps connection, while connecting and loading the video your skype call might stutter as your internet traffic is completely pushed to the browser to load that video. What QoS could do here is make sure that whenever such instances occur, skype call would be given the preference and made sure that no matter how much traffic is required for the video to load your skype call is smooth as it should be. So talking in speed, the 20kbps up/down required by the skype call is not disturbed at all and for the video to load 200kbps download speed is given even if the video asks for more, it wont allow that to happen.

QoS can be set for whatever things you want, many do it for torrents + gaming or torrents + skype or torrents + gaming and skype.

This way your internet traffic is completely utilized and everything runs smooth as it should.

QoS is either set by ports ( port required to connect torrent client or skype( messaging ) or games or other proceess )
OR QoS is either by software specific.
Super Custom firmwares like DDR-WRT make such things easy, but unfortunately our router can't have such firmwares installed. 🙁

I hope you understood my explanation. If you want a technical definition i could surely do better . 😉

----------

@essbebe

Alright would give that a shot, trial and error though but better than not using it. thanks

hello ppl.. I own the same Trendchip HG 520 since 2 yrs., worked reasonably well, since I m not a professional as such....However I m havin trouble connecting my new Laptop with Windows 7 to this router.I mean the WiFi connection is not possible and it's unable to connect. When connected with a cable it's working fine.My older laptop with Windows Vista has no problems though. Even WiFi is workingfine.Can someone help..??

In windows 7 you can keep the lan cable connected.
In task bar change to wifi icon. In list does the SSID appear ?
Have you to enter the security key ?
OR
Status/ new window Diagnose
You will get error message.
Assuming since worked fine with VISTA no changes recommended in Wifi router.

for ref similar model:
Configuration of Beetel 450 TC1 Modem for Bsnl connections - YouTube

Hi I've been using the same router for past 3 years, never got a problem. Earlier i had a bad experience with MTNL routers but then they changed it to this one and a problem never occurred since then.
I get the full 2mbps