antiviruses,firewalls,secure email all compromised by NSA

• Thread starter Thread starter warthog
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 2,070
W

warthog

SecuriTeam Blogs Cryptome: NSA has real-time access to Hushmail servers

CRYPTOME reports that the US National Security Agency (NSA) has remote administrative access to several of the most popular Windows PC firewalls, and that it has also taken control of a number of supposedly "secure " email services within the past few months.
It writes that the personal computer firewall software products from MacAfee, Symantec and Zone Alarm all "...facilitate Microsoft's NSA-controlled remote admin access via IP/TCP ports 1024 through 1030... without security flag."

The NSA 0wnz popular firewalls and 'secure' email services - The INQUIRER

Certain privacy [and/or] full session SSL email hosting services have been purchased [or] changed operational control by NSA and affiliates within the past few months, through private intermediary entities."
The so-called "secure" email services implicated by Cryptome's report include Hushmail, Safe-mail.net, and Guardster.com.

I guess linux is the only safe haven

dont be so sure about linux either... linux is just the core kernel , the rest of the components (like SELinux, firewall etc) can be tampered with. SELinux (included in Fedora) is made by the NSA after all 😛for example (hypothetically speaking) just because a US-based distribution like Fedora releases source code separately and people read the source code and verify there is no backdoor, does not mean the pre-built images/ISOs you download and install dont have the backdoors in them :dance:even some current google software engineers (at least one i read about) are former NSA employees/contractors with the highest govt "security clearance", and anyways you can expect all you gmail/orkut/yahoo/hotmail emails/postings to be scanned by government computers for suspicious content all the time...i cant believe there are any people who actually ever believed hushmail was secure/secret... probably only naive users thought so... the real sophisticated users (probably the bad guys) would not be so gullible.

so you mean to say that no OS is safe and secure?.If linux is also compromised then i guess you should go back to the ol'e win 95.the nsakey is not present in win 95 and earlier versions of windowsbtw i have ubuntu 7.10 so it is also compromised?

btw i have ubuntu 7.10 so it is also compromised?

ehehe, probably not, but who knows, maybe one day a shocking breaking news article will come out saying that it is... at least its put together by a european company with mostly european developers so i would trust it the most...

ps: i'll search and post an interesting definition of "trust" by the us govt 🙂

here ya go:

a good read Trusted Computing FAQ TC / TCG / LaGrande / NGSCB / Longhorn / Palladium point # 24 has that "trust" definition.

also see Spooks on board at Google and Google = NSA 2.0?