Another good reason why Apple iOS devices should be avoided...

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 64
  • Views Views 11,553

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
They are already anti-consumer. They are now anti-competition.

Apple is forcing every app maker offering subscriptions and purchases through outside channels to offer the same through the App Store.

Apple Launches Subscriptions on the App Store

Why? Because they take a 30% cut on every such transaction.

In simple terms. If Amazon charges 10 dollars for an ebook on their own store. They would have to offer the same ebook at 10 dollars through the Apple App Store. But they would only get 7 dollars. Apple would earn 3 dollars on that transaction.

This is a major issue for segments like the music apps. The margins are already pretty low (1-2%). If companies like Rhapsody are to pay 30% of the subscription fee to Apple, they would be making an actual loss on every customer they gain through the iOS platform.

I have said it before. And I say it again. Apple hates competition. They simply cannot digest it. Stay away from iOS devices. Get Android.

Update: Apple policies states that the publisher cannot charge more through the Apple App Store. Though, he is free to charge less. This has been the biggest crapiness of this new policy.

We have got so many Apple fanboys who make sure that Apple always remains in the news.Be it lot of selective leaks or rumours.

Google One Pass... Google's competing platform announced...

Google tackles the latest Apple googly with Google One Pass
Google One Pass

---------- Post added at 04:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 AM ----------

- Google One Pass[/URL]

---------- Post added at 04:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 AM ----------

Interesting blog post: isaiah

Apple’s Three Laws of Developers

A developer may not injure Apple or, through inaction, allow Apple to come to harm.
A developer must obey any orders given to it by Apple, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
A developer must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

i imagine the inspiration is from Three Laws of Robotics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Wow... Seriously man u should just go ahead & delete The iPhone forum itself already 🙁 ... Admin I no u are biased to Android but iOS is not that bad... I no everyone loves to call all iphone owners Drones or Fanboys & wht not but they fail to see its merits & only seem to list its demerits... Yes iOS has its flaws like its a closed system & Apple charges a hell of a lot for its phones & many many many other flaws... But seriously Android isnt that perfect itself... My problem with Android is they mostly seem the second one to launch a service... Pinch to zoom ,Android market etc etc etc many of its ideas seem to be picked up from Apple... What I would really love to see would be Google coming up with some ground breaking Ideas of itself (pls dont shoot me for this coz I no Android has some really cool features but most of them dont seem ground breaking)... Even this Google One pass was just a response to Apple's App Subscription model... Also the details are very unclear... Seems the announcement was made a bit hastily just to capitalize on the Anti Apple sentiments that had risen coz of the subscription model...Now Lets see some Pros & Cons of Android & iOS(in my opinion i.e.)1st AndroidPro's1) Open ( a big plus for the geeks but does not seem to widely affect the general population)2) Wide range of choices of phones from diff companies (Choose one wht fits ur budget/needs perfectly)3) Price (Seriously man some of the sub 12k Android Phones are insanely good VFM)4) Interactive Wallpapers ( I no this is not supposed to be a Big plus but I still find the N1's interactive Wallpaper so cool I had to mention it 😀 ...)5) Growing number of apps on the market6) Flash( need I say more 😛 )7) & many more but cant think of anymore right now...Now the Con's1) Taking the initiative... As I have said I would love Android to take the initiative in making ground breaking progresses & not just reacting to Apple's moves most of the time(oh boy m I gonna get flamed for this comment)2) Compatibility this is by far 1 of the most major concerns regarding Android... If Apple announces an iOS update all its iOS devices can download & install the new version right that min... But with Android the problem arises unless u are on a Google phone like the N1 or the Nexus S & some others... For most of the phones u have to w8 months maybe even more than a year for an updated OS download... Case of point even though Android 2.3 Gingerbread has been launched many of the phones are still using 2.1 ie Eclair ... Many phones owners are simply told that they would never be getting the newer version of the OS for various reasons...3) Games( Seriously man even though Android has been getting some games it needs to make some major headway in this deparment)4) Simplicity or more like the lack of it... Android seems too geeky for the common public... I mean I picked up an Iphone for the 1st time & I was able to find my way around it in a matter of mins but Android takes some getting used to...Well I got to go to work now so I guess I will add more points later lolz...This post seems to be going on for ever...PS trying to give my impartial opinion as an owner of a 3GS & a N1 🙂 ...

web based android market that allows you to remotely install app without using any software app or wires. you do not think this is groundbreaking?

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

the rumored google music subscription based service is expected to work similarly. you select a song and it would be downloaded automatically to your phone. i mean, this is incredible. i cannot think about buying an iPhone because it is literally useless without itunes.

It is extremely Cool I give u that but ground breaking I would say no comment... It seems crazy cool to geeky ppl like us but to the general public its like meh... Android market has its +ve & -ve points... Yes it is cool but many devices find it very hard to run many apps from the Android Market... I have not faced this problem so far on the N1 (touch wood) but my friend owns a Galaxy 5 & he has shown me dozens of apps that are either simply not available for his phone or even if they are he hasnt been able to get them to work... Just too many bugs... Mostly not the dev's fault coz there are just too many phones out there to test apps on all of them... Also about "rumored" music service... Well again it is a very cool feature but not a one that will change the face of the music industry... Hopefully they will be integrating it into the Android market itself so that the music I buy is attached to my acct & can be played on multiple platforms like Phone PC or maybe even an Android Tablet...My point though is if u are posting in the iPhone forum y not give iOS a fair chance... I no u are what some might call an Android Fanboi but maybe sometimes u have to look at some topics objectively especially coz u are the Admin... With great power comes great responsibility 😛 ...

well i am not favoring android here. i just prefer it over ios. personally i had switch to webos if it was a viable option today. i find webos UI to be much superior compared to both ios and android. but android remains the best alternative to ios if we are talking about apps. and then as a heavy user of google powered services, android gives you official access to plenty of services that is not available on other platforms. and do not see me as an admin here. i talk here just like a regular member. i stay logged in as the admin because maintaining two accounts is well painful. maybe i should switch to another user name. 😀

I prefer android mainly because we don't have to be dependent on Android Market to install apps whereas in iOS most of its apps are paid and now subscription based too. Also in Android Market many of the apps are free.

heh yeah. and that is a reason why app developers focus on ios first before moving on to android.

picplz is one of the rare apps that started with android and then moved to ios. 😀

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

and from what see, angry birds is free (Ad-supported) on android but a paid offering on ios. right? it is being sold for 5 dollars for the Windows OS edition.

well i am not favoring android here. i just prefer it over ios. personally i had switch to webos if it was a viable option today. i find webos UI to be much superior compared to both ios and android. but android remains the best alternative to ios if we are talking about apps. and then as a heavy user of google powered services, android gives you official access to plenty of services that is not available on other platforms.

and do not see me as an admin here. i talk here just like a regular member. i stay logged in as the admin because maintaining two accounts is well painful. maybe i should switch to another user name. 😀

A regular member??? *Planning to flame operamaniac to oblivion in my head now that he is no longer the admin muuuhhhhaaaaaaa* Sure I could treat u like a regular member... I m sure we can have a very nice & polite insightful discussion on many topics now...

But on a Serious note The point I was trying to make is I would love to see google really just make a revolutionary product in the mobile market & not just play catchup to Apple... I mean they are fully capable of it... But I feel they need to change their mindset a bit... Google changed the way we search the net,how we advertise on the net or how we earn from our websites... It even changed the way I get my news (google news is my most visited website) ... These are really revolutionary products/services but I would like to see them make these kind of progress in the mobile market... Yes they have the highest Smartphone marketshare right now but I m yet to see the ground breaking stuff from them like we saw in their web services ...

PS I totally agree on the WebOS ... Just too cool... their interface is simple but very nice & I really loved the way they integrated their tablet's photo albums with Facebook ... Also the touchur palm pre to ur tablet screen to open the same website was pretty cool too...

I prefer android mainly because we don't have to be dependent on Android Market to install apps whereas in iOS most of its apps are paid and now subscription based too. Also in Android Market many of the apps are free.

Well actually this is one of the reasons I feel the App store is better than the Market... Reason is simple... Money... On iOS good developers make good apps & get a good price for their apps... That means App store attracts more quality developers although the situation is changing slightly now... As a dev I would be more attracted to a market where I will be well paid for my work/Idea ...

the touch thing has already come to gingerbread through NFC.

as for revolutionary products. 😀 i see plenty of revolutionary mobile products from google 😀

real time position of your friends on google latitude!
google voice search and commands.
3d google maps!

it is very easy to ignore what google powers on today's smartphones. even on Apple ios. though apple seems to be working hard on replacing google based services with their own. there are strong reports that google maps would soon be replaced with apple's own creation. they acquired a company involved in this field a while ago.

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

google voice (the telephony service) is something that is pretty revolutionary. i mean it makes number portability look outdated and pathetic. i wish trai would invite them to india to offer it around here. 😀

Now this is what I m talking about... You are just confusing what I mean by revolutionary & great... Finding ur frnds on latitude or 3d maps or voice commands are all great products but in no way revolutionary... Pls let me give u a few examples of things I consider revolutionary to give u a decent idea what I mean by my earlier comments

1) Windows was a revolutionary product coz it shaped our expectations of our GUI OS today.
2) Google was a revolutionary service coz its search bot's algorithms allowed it to bring back search results so quickly & efficiently that it changed the way we search the net.
3) Google Adsense/Adwords were revolutionary services coz they changed how we advertise or earn online & made online advertising a force to be reckoned with
4) Apple iPhone was NOT a revolutionary product but iOS & the App Store were
5) Apple Ipad belive it or not WAS a revolutionary product not coz of its spec or features but coz it created a whole new segment in the market which will see atleast 50 new tablets fight it out this year.
6)Itunes (ahh yes the much hated itunes) was a revolutionary service coz it changed the way we buy music & made music CDs obsolete (maybe not in India 😛 but definitely in developed countries)

These are but just a very few of the examples which I would term as revolutionary... As I have mentioned several times I feel Google has done an extraordinary job with its web services to make them ground breaking but I cannot say the same about Android... They are simply porting their PC based web services to Android(which is fantastic but not ground breaking)... I say it again Google is capable of doing something revolutionary in the mobile space & should not just play catchup with Apple...