Google Messages (message categorization is rolling out in India)

Refer the 2nd part which says 'How to enable RCS Chat in countries where it's not supported'.

Frankly speaking it is not of much use since it's not automatically enabled and there are hardly anyone using it here. So I wouldn't bother, atleast right now.

Reply on DM from Jio, now DM'ed to Asus who are at best sloths on twitter.
Hi, we are here to help. Be informed, RCS feature is available with Jio SIM and you can use it through your native messenger/dialer -
03c5Anr.png

Not keen on trying part 2 as per jio it enabled so it might be something to do with Asus. No reply from them yet. Was thinking of using that amongst close friends & family. Thanks again.

Last edited:
i did not change any flag. option to enable chat features automatically appeared on the stable version of the app on my device. my guess is as Airtel, Vodafone don't support RCS at carrier level, messages app enabled RCS through google servers. whereas in case of Jio they might update the app to use Jio servers for RCS. if you wish to use RCS on Jio now, you can enable RCS via google servers by following part 2 of the above guide

@itzmynet Thanks, Jio conformed to me thts it's enabled on native message app (msg pasted above).
As a general interest I just noticed now on 2, Max Pro M1 phones with a pre paid & post paid (respectively) Vodafone sim has this feature, my friend @krish_88 has it on his Max Pro M2 wth Airtel sim.
But a Max Pro M2 wth a prepaid Jio sim (in my hse) does not have it. Just as my Max Pro M1 pre paid Jio sim does not show this feature.
Had many calls from Jio & they suggested that i try one of these Vodafone sims (where RCS is enabled in it's original phone) in my phone to check my phone. It's logical will update after i try it. My guess is that though jio claims it enabled by default, I have my doubts.

I tried swapping sims today, my sim showed this feature in another phone & a Vodafone sim showed this feature in my phone. So it proves it's not a problem with my phone. And I was pleasantly surprised to see that when I put my sim back in my phone, it asked me to agree & hey presto it's activated. Don't quite understand why all this jiggery pokery was required. 😁😂 Haven't tested it yet.
My query i use this feature & send a message & if the recipient does not have data/wifi on, does it go as a sms. If yes the what happens to any pics etc in the sms😲

To find out if the problem is with my phone or jio connection, i inserted a Vodafone sim & that showed the RCS feature in Google messages in a Max Pro M2. So it's clear it's not my phone. Jio tells me that RCS is enabled in native apps. But 2 jio sims in my hse don't show this feature. After discussing over 2 days jio care has not got back yet with a solution. They tried blaming the phone then google messages & they have been proved wrong.

Sadly Jio seems clueless why chat is not available for me on my Max Pro M1 but is available wth a Airtel & Vodafone sim. It's supposed to be on by default.