AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition: Stock fan noisy. Replaced with Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus.

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 11,161

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition is the processor I am using now on my desktop.

The problem is that the stock fan that came with this processor is FREAKING noisy.

I have checked AMD forums and I guess this is the case with a lot of other folks as well.

The question I have is...

What third party HSF would be a good solution for this processor.

Anyone here into AMD hardware? 😀

---------- Post added at 01:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 AM ----------

https://youtube.com/watch?v=RvhwQ0b0cGk

---------- Post added at 01:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 AM ----------

Let me add something here. I can only get the fan noise to reasonable level if I run the processor in low performance mode.

That means the processor would run at 800MHz. The rating on the processor is 3.4GHz.

It's a damn shame that I went for AMD just to realize that after spending 17K for the MoBo+Processor, I would now have to shell 2-3K for a decent quality cooling solution.

Too bad I do not know anyone who is sort of an expert in this field. So, I would probably end up making another bad choice wrt a third party HSF.

A friend recommended: Hyper 212 Plus - Cooler Master

Might go for this one itself.

---------- Post added at 01:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 AM ----------

I actually feel that this processor is running my machine a lot slower than what my laptop does with a core2duo mobile processor!

Same with 550 series i have on my second computer - also because the computer runs almost all the time, but i don't care much because it's in another room but will likely buy a cooling solution from Coolermaster sometime later.AMD is known for this for long and had made enthusiasts stay away from them for long. This is my first AMD solution since Intel C2D made their way. i bought this because i was looking for a cheap server kind of solution for mainly downloading and local media streaming to other computers/ps3 BTW the cooling solution you are looking at is pretty cool

got the fan installed today finally. installation was so freaking complicated i am still having headaches. at times i just felt like i had damaged the motherboard (or the processor). i am not sure if the thermal pasting was spread out properly. the noise is not there now. but the CPU temperature is not very low. it is hovering at around 42-45C at idle. i am not sure what it would do if i start processing a video file 😀

Do you have an AC in the room ? Because with the current weather , 42-45 seems reasonable .

hehe. just came back ordering an AC. temperatures are unbearable now. another sad story with SBI ATM. tried taking out money for the AC... transaction was declined but money was deducted. this is not the first time it has done so. last time around it took dad 5 months before the money was returned back to his account. this time also... around 25k are missing because of declined transactions. 🙁 because of me, dad would have to deal with the stupid SBI customer care folks. write applications. threat a lawsuit in the consumer court and so on. 🙁

alright. AC installed. just started the PC. CPU temperature now is 35C. let's see how it progresses with usage and load.

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

the CPU fan stat which is below 2000 rpm now was above 6000 rpm in amd stock fan.

hey admin how did u get the above stats,is there a software for that.

my superduper expensive Asus motherboard came with it.

its called PC Probe. not sure if it works with other motherboards. i believe there are several utilities available on the web that are compatible with a variety of motherboards. check them out.

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

Asus software have awful interfaces. Reminds me of the apps we used to get on Windows 95...

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

here is a much better user interface from the APC UPS Utility...

admin, just check dat cool n quite feature is enabled in ur bios that will calm down your fan my friend was having the same problem this thing shut downs ur core wich are not usable at the current time so ur temperature will also come down

cool n quiet is on by default in the bios. the problem is with the stock fan. running the processor with less cores working nullifies the reason i got this quad core processor. in the low performance mode, the performance of the machine was worse than a dual core.