Amazon Prime Video isn't streaming HD 1080p on my laptop

ISP
Railwire, Airtel 4G
I am observing that the Amazon prime video does not go beyond HD quality while watching on my laptop. Even though I have selected Best streaming quality on prime, it still streams in HD quality only. While watching the same movie/series on my TV, the streaming quality automatically shows HD 1080p. The same problem is with Netflix. What might be the issue?

Solution
There are DRM issues with chrome and firefox. They support only software based encryption- decryption. It is easier to break software based DRM than hardware based ones. Netflix /prime don't want their content to be pirated at high quality. Use edge as it supports hardware based DRM and will go 4K. I'll suggest you to use the netflix / prime video apps on your windows 10 laptops as they are the most surefire way to get the highest quality. Updates on edge may break the DRM and content will revert to lower quality in that case.

Edit:I forgot to add. Chrome supports netflix at 720p only. No HDR or Dolby vision/ atmos.
Do you have an external monitor connected to the laptop by any chance?

Ah alright, the reason I mentioned is cause I ran into something similar the other day. Turned out to be that the cable/adapter I use to connect the monitor does not support HDCP, so Prime defaults to non-HD. 😓

There are DRM issues with chrome and firefox. They support only software based encryption- decryption. It is easier to break software based DRM than hardware based ones. Netflix /prime don't want their content to be pirated at high quality. Use edge as it supports hardware based DRM and will go 4K. I'll suggest you to use the netflix / prime video apps on your windows 10 laptops as they are the most surefire way to get the highest quality. Updates on edge may break the DRM and content will revert to lower quality in that case.

Edit:I forgot to add. Chrome supports netflix at 720p only. No HDR or Dolby vision/ atmos.

Solution
Have u tried different browsers ? Chances are it is your browser with a glitch due to new browser update. Happens with me sometimes

I'll suggest you to use the netflix / prime video apps on your windows 10 laptops as they are the most surefire way to get the highest quality. Updates on edge may break the DRM and content will revert to lower quality in that case.

Thanks. I installed the app and yes it streams 1080p on the prime video app for windows. Chrome never went beyond 720p.

Last edited:
well in my point of view you can choose a better browser or else directly install prime video software on your pc/lpatop
in recent times we can watch movies especially on mobiles apps so that we need android emulators by you can simply download app on your computer and start watching in HD version of movies in laptop.