Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Generation Edition (Returned)

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 50
  • Views Views 9,277
Guess what... It has a bright pixel. Google tells me that this problem is pretty common. Now checking how to get a replacement.

Looks like this is going to be an experience that would match my dealings with Dell. What a mess.

https://imgur.com/a/qIvBT

--

Amazon.in website is complicated. The language is messed up.

Amazon does not offer replacements as an option except for Kindles.

I have no idea what this means. Kindle does not seem to have any option for replacement. So picked the option for a refund.

Let's hope this is processed without any issues.

---

Ok. Another confusion. How do I find out if this is the first generation Kindle or the second generation Kindle because this:

Bought the Vish Puri book as planned. Already read 10% of it. Feels alright.

Nope. If I take down the backlight to the lowest level, everything looks fine. I prefer darkness (!) hence cannot go for the cheapest model which has no backlight support. Sucks for me.

the backlight basically enhances all the flaws of the display which are otherwise not visible. for a Rs. 11,000 product, it is hard to ignore these problems. i mean you can get a quad core smartphone with 1GB RAM with 4.5 inch 720p display with 7 times the storage space for Rs. 2500 more. lol. of course you cannot compare the kindle with the moto g but in the end, kindle looks like a terrible value for money product.

a friend is probably coming to india from usa at the end of the month. i am considering getting the ad supported variant. should cost me a lot less and hopefully the american units have fewer defects lol.
USD 119 plus taxes... Should cost around 3K less. Mhm. Still makes no sense.
Especially considering the Indian model is without ads. So, the pricing is not that bad (USD 139+taxes is the American price).

lol. nook is pretty much dead. bn is unlikely to come up with new hardware. microsoft is now their joint venture partner. which means that it is likely to become a software service catering to windows phone and windows 8 devices in the future. plus my goal of going with kindle was to pay for content. i can always get a cheapo reader from kobo or some unknown company. kindle paperwhite just has no comparable option when it comes to quality of display (i can see the irony here) and content availability (legal).
It's sold be Croma too right? You might Want to pick It up from a store and physically check it there itself.
Good idea. Would have to check with them if they are ok with me opening a unit at the stop and checking the display and if they would keep it (and refund the money) if the display turns out to be defective.
Also there is another issue. You are more likely to find out defects in a calm and peaceful environment 😀 I would probably not be able to notice anything in a public place.

chromaniac said:
the backlight basically enhances all the flaws of the display which are otherwise not visible. for a Rs. 11,000 product, it is hard to ignore these problems. i mean you can get a quad core smartphone with 1GB RAM with 4.5 inch 720p display with 7 times the storage space for Rs. 2500 more. lol. of course you cannot compare the kindle with the moto g but in the end, kindle looks like a terrible value for money product.
Its totally fine expecting a defect-free product since you're paying your hard owned money. Nevermind whether its an 11k or 1.1L k.

Well yeah. It's just super annoying that I have gotten over the fact that I am paying Rs. 11,000 for an eBook Reader (lol) and I cannot get a defect free unit. I mean seriously... I do not even read that many books and there are no guarantees that I would read more than a few once the craze of reading gets over in a few weeks time.

you can pay and upgrade to ad-free model from what i hear. in any case, the ads are not an issue because it displays when the device is not being used. so not an issue really.
the labnol guy's logic is to ask Amazon customer support to disable it on your model because the ads are irrelevant to you because you are in india. right. legal? yes. a proper way? probably no. this is like claiming you can get Plan X from Airtel. How? You apply for a disconnection and then bargain with the retention department.

chromaniac said:
Dell... God. My U3011 is out of warranty. Display has developed issues that would in normal cases get me a replacement. Since I cannot ask for a replacement now, I am planning to use it till it is manageable and then switch to something smaller. Sadly, none of the other companies have decent displays in India so I might end up going for a cheaper Dell. Their displays might suck (for me) but at least the replacements are made at my home.
&ampi have been using the viewsonic vp2365(ips display) for over a year now. Its flawless. Maybe you might want to look at viewsonic models.