Amazon Kindle Fire

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 68
  • Views Views 50,873
I am kinda bored with Android. Actually I don't quite like it. It still is not ready for tablets.

this one is expected to be another forked edition of android.

and as for android for tablets... just wait for icw. 🙂

google started promoting android seriously only when it reached version 2.

they are expected to do the same with tablets when it reaches version 4.

i think there is a very good reason motorola xoom was motorola xoom and not google nexus. 🙂

----------

https://imgur.com/SXcuV

mockup of the user interface based on what TechCrunch saw.

sadly enough. this model is currently a US only thing. and it is not really a regular Tablet PC. it is more of a content delivery device from Amazon platform. unless of course, you buy it and hack it to run a regular Android build. amazon has designed it in such a way that without subscribing to amazon services, it would not be as much fun with the default os.

The Fire has an IPS display with 169 pixels-per-inch resolution. Super-tough Gorilla Glass protects the screen, which can support the display of 16 million colors. Inside, the Fire comes loaded with a dual-core processor, and the device weighs just 14.6 ounces.

Sounds good. Its time for a price drop Mr.Apple.

Apple has nothing to worry about. this is a device optimized for cloud streaming of text, audio and video content. apple has their icloud but they are not totally relying upon it.

Amazon is betting that a lot of people buying fire would subscribe to the Amazon Prime service that costs around USD 80 per year. because that is the service that adds the video and audio element to it. without it, it is not a very useful device to own.

----------

oh wow.

fire is based on android 3 edition.

https://twitter.com/#!/diveintomark/status/119102356490158082

this means that amazon had access to honeycomb source code.

which means only one thing. amazon worked with google on this one. they simply could not have used it without google involved in it.

----------

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jUtmOApIslE

Amazon can sell anything thanks to its reach (they managed to sell this, what else needs to be said). So no doubt Fire will sell a ton. But other than the price tag, I'm not really impressed. The screen is 1/2 the size of an iPad and it has only 8 gb. It has the amazon cloud thing going for it but still nothing beats in device memory. Its not even worthy of being called a kindle. Whatever good points kindle had over iPad and other tablets are now lost. The things which make kindle as an ultimate book reader is amazon book store, paper like display and ever lasting battery life. Now amazon book store is available on everything including iPad and other android tablets. And it doesnt have the high res paper like display and battery life anymore. So other than the price and a permanent front page ad on the worlds biggest online retailer, Fire has nothing going for it.

That said, I wouldnt have thought twice before grabbing this new kindle if it was available for $200 here in India. Its got the amzon appstore so finding apps for it wont be a big deal. At 7 inch it wont be the best tablet for browsing the web and photos, videos, but it'll still be good enough for the price. The browser sounds promising but no one knows until it's launched. It sounds like skyfire but skyfire pretty much sucks. Good idea on paper, not that great when executed. Silk sounds like a step ahead of skyfire so hopefully it'll be better. But we wont know about it until iits available to general public.

ok. i am not sure what you are drinking.

Amazon kindle the ebook reader still exists...

the original one is still on sale as kindle keyboard.

they have added touchscreen capable editions known as kindle touch.

and then we have this tablet which is not exclusively an ebook reading device. it is a content consumption device. content that is fetched from amazon branded services. something that even Apple has not managed to do properly until now with their iOS devices.

amazon is selling a service, fire is just a medium. the basic idea behind fire is that you would subscribe to Amazon Prime which would get you access to tons of video content that could be streamed on this device as per your convenience. and it also in addition, supports your kindle ebooks and the amazon cloud player.

this is a very different device than the ipad which is a proper tablet that can be used to do a lot more (video editing for example).

as for amazon silk it is similar to opera turbo which a lot of people here would admit is a pretty impressive and usable technology.

----------

also. just like the image your linked to (the first generation kindle). this is just the first generation fire. a 10" model would launch early next year with probably much better specifications. amazon would probably launch new updated models on a yearly basis. and they would slowly make it as awesome as their current generation kindle is.

DO you have some comprehension issues? When did I ever say/hint about anything against which you just posted?

from what i read you compared kindle fire to kindle. these are two different devices aimed at different audiences.never mind. you are part of that segment of the market who thinks that only Apple can create a new segment with a new product launch. everyone else has to have a product that should fit in a particular criteria. when kindle was launched a lot of people mocked it for trying to replace the books. and i see a similar tone in your post. it cannot do this. it cannot do that. i guess i should have simply ignored your post for being what it is...

I compared it to both the old kindle and the current tablets. Its a tablet with a Kindle brand name, so dont see why the comparison isnt justified. Its nothing worth noting about compared to either. Its not really much different than any other tablet except for Amazon cloud, Silk and price tag. Price tag I already agreed is a huge plus for it. And the cloud and silk arent something one can comment about until its out for general public.

The reason why I linked the first kindle is that Amazon has the power to sell something which is as crap as the original kindle. Fire on the other hand looks quite decent so I have no doubts about its sales. Ofcourse there will be (atleast) yearly refreshes of this model. But as it stands right now, its not that great. And still I'm not dissing it totally. In fact I already said I'll grab one without thinking twice if it was available for $200 here in india. Its a good product without any doubt. Just not something groundbreaking.

Oh and sorry I snapped onto you like that. Not having the best of days here at the office right now. Not an excuse, but still wanted to let you guys know..

----------

Oh and you are completely wrong about me being a blind fanboy. I appreciate quality. I dont hate google just coz its not Apple. Like you seem to doing with anything apple just coz its made by apple.

sadly it is only available on sale in the US market. and would probably be useless here in india because of the storage limitations and the software and of course the non availability of Amazon prime and similar services. though, it remains to be seen how soon it is hacked to run stock android builds where it could shine.