Amazon India News & Updates

that has been the problem since the early days of pantry.

it is still very annoying. because you still cannot filter out fresh results from prime. not to mention Amazon Prime only results would still include non prime products along with tons of sponsored products.

so what i do is basically, add the product i frequently buy in wishlist. PRIME listings. and order from there instead of suffering through the fucking mess their search results is.

still prefer Grofers for groceries though as it is just an easier process and delivery is faster as well. Amazon Fresh is the last resort. and only when i have a product that would make up most of the free shipping requirement like refined oil these days. but then stuff like refined oil etc. are rarely on prime and are likely to get damaged during transit. fresh is safer.

2 out of 5 deliveries of presto 5L dishwash liquid comes damaged to my place. i took refund both times. not planning to seek refund in future because you can never tell what counts as a strike on your amazon account.

removal of bubble wrapping has made ordering liquid products through amazon quite annoying. almost all boxes arrive in pretty bad shape.

Last edited:
They have made a kichadi out of Prime, Fresh and Pantry. If things don't work out, I simply get it from the nearby shop.
@Smh maybe they have not yet updated location where normal delivery is possible, hence the delay. I do recall masks taking a month or so during lockdown even when E comm sites were allowed to make delivery for essentials.

Now buying from Amazon is like buying from 3 different sites at the same. They could have created different subdomain or something for fresh and pantry. Flipkart has done it, I have not ordered from then yet but it's a different section.

As it is Amazon UI is shit then doing all this khichdi.

I wonder if the devs are underpaid or Jeff Bezos is too kanjoos to spend money on good UI designers. 😤

mixing fresh and prime results is definitely intentional. because otherwise you don't see a lot of products in your search results. especially for searches related to grocery products. inserting sponsored products in search results is also clearly intentional otherwise who would pay to highlight their products on their platform. buying from Amazon can be a painful experience if you don't know what exactly you want. because amazon's choice products are definitely not the best purchases for a lot of product categories. but they are highlighted and prioritized at top resulting in lots of sales. hard to say if these labels are also sponsored. this has also been heavily criticized on the web.

I am also seeing Amazon allowing sellers with paid reviews. They give cashback for a positive review. I mean why!!
Relying on reviews has become very dicey these days. Earlier, it was good.

Amazon does not allow it. it is a clear violation of their policies. sellers get away with it. they have become quite strict with paid reviews on their US store. india is still a free for all. there is a huge market for paid reviews online. with dedicated websites and facebook groups. unless they bring the same level of monitoring in india, it would continue to remain a problem.

amazon recently banned a lot of popular brands from their US store because of paid reviews.

indian government also needs to come out with guidelines. ftc has become very strict with sponsored social media posts and reviews in usa.

I am Highly sceptical such policies will come to India, unless FDI for multi-brand retail is allowed. Right now, it's a win-win for seller and Amazon.

it is already happening in india. there are policies in india that makes it mandatory for social media influencers to clearly specify if they have been paid to promote products in their videos (and other forms of content).

the problem is that it is not a legal requirement yet from my understanding because this is a very unregulated market.

this however would work if brands cooperate. it's a good start but a lot more needs to be done.

With an immense growth in influencer marketing, the CCPA has released the Draft Central Consumer Protection Authority (Prevention of Misleading Advertisements and Necessary Due Diligence for Endorsement of Advertisements) Guidelines in September 2020. These guidelines are promulgated to keep a tab on all types of endorsements and endorsers irrespective of any medium adopted for endorsements. These guidelines impose an obligation upon the endorser to conduct due diligence on the facts and claims of the product before actually endorsing it. Though these guidelines have not come into force yet, the social media influencers can be required to comply with them at any time soon.

It is important to note here that the ASCI is a self-regulatory body without the force of any law. Therefore, these guidelines cannot be statutorily enforceable. However, the ASCI Code is widely followed across the industry and has received judicial recognition from courts in India. In contrast, the CCPA derives the authority from the Consumer Protection Act, 2019 and thus, the final guidelines to be promulgated by it will certainly be statutorily enforced.

Another weird thing is you see a product with 4.5 stars but when you go to reviews it's filled with negative comments only.

Buying products online now takes more time because of so many crappy and fake products. Amazon happily allows them many times sellers can get their negative rating removed if it was shipped by Amazon.

Amazon has another big issue they mix reviews of different version of products like air pod, air pod pro. And reviews of products sold by different sellers, sometimes a shady seller will sell a fake product and you will wonder why there are so many negative reviews for a product sold by cloudtail

yeah. just this week i had to decide against ordering a set of rechargeable batteries from Amazon. flipkart listing seemed safer.

you gotta look at recent reviews and the seller before you can decide if it is safe to go for a product you do not order frequently.

@Sushubh I too am looking for rechargeable batteries for clocks. Amazon reviews say don't use Duracell as it has higher voltage. Which one are you going for?

e2fRyk1.webp

Condition of the box that arrived today. Thankfully the product seems fine.