Amazon Fire TV Stick

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 65
  • Views Views 28,963
sideloading should work for installing the app. what happens after would need to be checked.

Yep, forgot to mention that part. If you sideload apps like Jio TV/Jio Cinema etc, you will need a wireless mouse or air mouse to navigate easily.

Other problem is, if there is any text to be typed, you will need to use Fire TV/Stick(or mobile app) remote to enter the text. It is annoying to switch between Stick remote and wireless mouse.

so it does not stay connected to bluetooth devices and the wireless remote at the same time?

question. does the device support all kinds of android apps or only those who are enabled for android tv? i have only tried kodi yet which i guess is optimized for android tv so it works fine.

the device has parental control. it would be a good idea to enable it as Amazon highlights the one click purchase. i do not want my niece to end up purchasing content from the amazon store (though i doubt it would work) assuming it can charge me from my Amazon Pay balance.

the initial configuration screen mentions that passcode would be needed even to play content from Amazon Prime iirc. thankfully in settings you can disable this option. you can also fine tune it to restrict access to content with mature ratings.

so it does not stay connected to bluetooth devices and the wireless remote at the same time?

question. does the device support all kinds of android apps or only those who are enabled for android tv? i have only tried kodi yet which i guess is optimized for android tv so it works fine.

It will connect only to one Bluetooth device at a time. It will connect to two devices provided one device works on BLE profile. Simultaneous connection to multiple devices is a feature of Bluetooth 5.0.

Technically we can sideload any Android 32 bit apk but whether it will work or not depends upon the android framework and how much has Amazon stripped it.

remains to be seen if Amazon prime would remain unavailable on google play store. airtel claims that they would soon get Amazon Prime on their internet tv box which is running google android tv. that would nullify one of the few advantages this device has over a google android tv box. i mean i would prefer to get google assistant on this as alexa is pretty useless for indian consumers. especially for someone who is on google ecosystem. i mean the device has amazon photos app but to get access to my google photos app i would need to check out if sideloading the google photos app work on this device. as someone who just need access to netflix, prime video, Hotstar, youtube... this is a pretty solid choice. with added bonus of streaming from network drives.

Search android Box in eBay you will get many to choose from. I got it for 2130 Rs. after using the discount code of 10%. If your only requirement is casting mobile screen in TV then search for anycast stick which costs around 875 after discounts, But do remember all mobiles don't support Mira cast but you could use airplay to play youtube, Vimeo, FB and you phone videos, images etc.

NDTV works. Ditto TV works. T e r r a r i u m TV works. Jio TV I was able to sideload but it opens in portrait mode and i was unable to navigate to Sign In button.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oops I just realized that Fire TV Stick's USB port is used for power and it doesn't have additional USB port. What I meant was, you need additional USB wireless mouse to control side loaded apps. And in some cases like typing you can use only stock remote. It is like you need to use the combination of wireless mouse and bluetooth remote if you need to use android apps

You can sideload any apk but if if the apk is meant for android tv, you will be able to control the app using only stock remote. If the apk is not meant for android tv, you will need wireless mouse in addition to stock remote.

NDTV works. Ditto TV works. T e r r a r i u m TV works. Jio TV I was able to sideload but it opens in portrait mode and i was unable to navigate to Sign In button.
Sadly these Apps are not available in Google playstore in Shield....... Even when I installed after downloading apk.... still it does not allow to open the app...

Last edited by a moderator: