• Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 3,166

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
So, a nephew of mine did well in his college exams and his parents have agreed to let him splurge on a new laptop. He wants to get a MacBook Air. I just wanted to give him some options. Consider the budget to be around Rs. 70,000. He can probably extend it by 5-10K but anything beyond that would be unreasonable. I am looking for laptop suggestions that fits in this budget. Intel Haswell would be nice because of the improved battery life. He does play some games apparently like Counter Strike and GTA. From what I understand he spends most of his time on Facebook (don’t ask). His primary need is battery life, good performance. His primary usage is browser and office suite. Also, has Intel Haswell arrived on Apple MacBooks in India?
How much I wish Chromebook Pixel was available as a regular Windows laptop lol.

My Two Cents:
If you can afford a Mac Book Air do not look else where

Upvote 0
Apparently the Intel graphics are not good enough for CS and GTA type games. Asked a friend who has the retina Air model.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Battery Backup Upto 3 hours
Looks like I would have to ask him to wait for a month so that Intel Haswell laptops arrive in the Indian market.

Upvote 0
Having a laptop may be cool to carry around in college but if he is an avid gamer i suggest you don't go for a gaming laptop.
I use a Dell XPS 17 myself (which costed me around the same price) and i can tell you i cant run modern games on this laptop without a cooling pad. Once the pc gets hot, frame rates drops and stuttering kicks in.
My suggestion would be to go for a decent 30-40k laptop for his college work and use the remaining 30-40k to buy the upcoming consoles or build a decent desktop if he wants.
Trust me i have spent 70k on a laptop and i hate why i did it. I can't run modern games on higher than medium settings right now and i'm pretty sure i wont be able to run games on higher than low settings for games coming next year. Laptops aren't meant for gaming.
/end rant

Upvote 0
Lenovo y500 best graphic card for 70k laptop and it has an option to add another graphic card which makes it dual graphic cardCan play some games at high and some at medium, with dual graphic card, can run games on ultraA haswell model with ssd will come in a month y510p

Upvote 0
ermm. he is not exactly looking for a high end gaming laptop. he just does CS and GTA type games casually with his hostel friends. his current laptop is a HP envy something. a mid-range model i assume.

Upvote 0
HP Envy assuming is not using AMD should cost atleast 40k. I might be wrong, but I am assuming from what I had seen from surveying for a friend a couple of months or so ago...

Upvote 0
And this machine was probably bought straight out from a showroom in Panipat so no special customization 🙂 I am not sure about hardware specifications but it would not have cost more than 35-45K few months ago.
damn. there are way too many HP envy models. i would try to get his current specs so that we can get a base specifications to beat. significantly 😛

Upvote 0
MacBook Air if he wants to show off around in college. Otherwise any other manufacturer will do.But if he wants to spend 70,000 on a laptop, MacBook Air is no brainer. Ask him to play games on a dedicated console later.

Upvote 0