Alternative for Monoblock LNB if you cannot get it.

• Thread starter Thread starter vinay_kumar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 28
  • Views Views 28,974

vinay_kumar

Techie
ISP
Airtel, MTNL, MTS
Many members are either not able to get monoblock lnb or do not wish to buy it due to some reasons.

So we can easily combine two single Ku-band lnbs with a DiSEqC switch and use it to get beams from satellites separated by an angle. Incase of DishTruHD monoblock lnb, the angle is fixed at 4.3 degrees. But this one is flexible in terms of separation angle and look angle.

Cost of this contraption = Rs240 (2 Ku-band LNBs)+Rs150 (4-in-1 DiSEqC switch) = Rs390.
Cost of monoblock LNB varies from Rs400 to Rs650.

For now only LNB pics as I am fitting this on my dish antenna. Later I will post the performance of this with TV screen images and signal details.

Sorry.. this might be stupid question but what is its use?

TruHD has dual tracking LNBC...atleast mine does...@aboveThe signal that is transmitted from the station is of high power as its transmitted in the open space..they have to keep the power high....or else noise will play witn our signal...but while we recieve the signal...the high power signal cannot be transmitted as it is...because of such high power...or the cables required should be of uber quality..which might get costly...so to decrease the cost of cables...a small thing is installed in the dish...which decreases the signal power keeping the SNR as intact as possible...but nothing in the world is precise...it does pass some noise with our original signal to our STB....OR sometimes it cannot dcecrease the signal power to extent we want..hence end up with distortions or unwanted inf..or no signal at all..Normally HD users..whether its dish,reliance,airtel....suposed to have 2 SUPRESSED LNBC's to track HD and SD content both differently....But apparently they do scam i guess..but technically its not possible...

Sorry.. this might be stupid question but what is its use?

Your question is very good dear,
LNB is used to receive the signals reflected from a dish antenna. This Dual LNB will help receive 2 or more satellites at a time as the case happens with Dishtv transmitting both SD and HD channels on 2 satellites located nearby.

Let me know if you have any further questions 🙂

Dear Shatrughan, The pic you have shown is of a Dual Output LNB used to run 2 different set-top boxes on 1 LNB.

My purpose is getting 2 different satellites from a single dish on a single set-top box.

This pic will make it clear. 2 Satellites are received now NSS6 and another Asiasat5 without moving or re-aligning dish.

Mine is very old dish and has old type of LNB... Is it possible to use the above said LNB which is in the pic ... if yes, then what is the main use of it.. where can i get in chennai... how much it cost... whether the distv people will come and fix it..

Yes Mham07 Sir, this type of LNB can be fit on any old dish. It main use is for receiving more than 1 satellite signals in a range of 4.3 degrees and you can use it as per your need. You can get it in Coimbatore, Madurai etc. Cost of this monoblock LNB is a bit high Rs650. But you can get a single Ku-band LNB for around Rs120.Dishtv staff will come and fix it if you request them. If you have the skills, you can do it yourself 😉 Let me know if you need to know more about this 🙂Have a great day ! Take Care.

Hi Vinay, I too have old DishTV & old LNB & old Sony TV. As of today every thing is fine. But I have new requirement of watching "cbeebies". After looking the dishtv website, i found a one condition. "This channels are available to only HD/Mono Bloc LNB users". What I need to do to get this channel.I don't want to buy any HD TV in short term.Your help is highly appreciated.

This channels are available to only HD/Mono Bloc LNB users". What I need to do to get this channel.I don't want to buy any HD TV in short term.

Hi,

You will need to buy a monoblock LNB costing about Rs600 in local dth shops and replace old lnb with it as the technique mentioned above is for people comfortable with dish antenna setting up.

----------

Why r using 2 LNB
Is there any solid reason behind ur experiment

Yes with 2 or more LNB side-by-side, the same dish antenna can catch more than one dth service by simple adjustment.

Many members are either not able to get monoblock lnb or do not wish to buy it due to some reasons.

So we can easily combine two single Ku-band lnbs with a DiSEqC switch and use it to get beams from satellites separated by an angle. Incase of DishTruHD monoblock lnb, the angle is fixed at 4.3 degrees. But this one is flexible in terms of separation angle and look angle.

Cost of this contraption = Rs240 (2 Ku-band LNBs)+Rs150 (4-in-1 DiSEqC switch) = Rs390.
Cost of monoblock LNB varies from Rs400 to Rs650.

For now only LNB pics as I am fitting this on my dish antenna. Later I will post the performance of this with TV screen images and signal details.

plz post screen shots of signal testing by used method.

OK... is it possible for me to change LNB(if required) and use DD Direct+ Channels with the same set-top box. Or what should i do if i want to watch DD Direct Channels? I have a rented DishTV STB.

OK... is it possible for me to change LNB(if required) and use DD Direct+ Channels with the same set-top box. Or what should i do if i want to watch DD Direct Channels? I have a rented DishTV STB.

Changing LNB is simple, but the alignment / adjustment takes a bit of expertise.
You can view DD Direct+ Channels with the same old LNB and dish antenna. Just get a Free-To-Air set-top box (worth Rs500 to Rs800) and connect it instead of the Dish TV STB.

Dish TV already has DD Direct channels due to nearby location of the satellites.

Changing LNB is simple, but the alignment / adjustment takes a bit of expertise.
You can view DD Direct+ Channels with the same old LNB and dish antenna. Just get a Free-To-Air set-top box (worth Rs500 to Rs800) and connect it instead of the Dish TV STB.

Do i require alignment to view DD Direct+ channels?, i mean if i change the STB to FTA STB. What can i do with OLD STB and VC Card?

Dish TV already has DD Direct channels due to nearby location of the satellites.
I know, but i'm thinking to scrap my Dish connection and choose a cable operator. I dont want to throw my antenna. So, i'm gonna buy a FTA STB so that i can use that(DD Direct+) in some place, where there's no availability of cable/dish.