All international "Gift" packages now liable for customs duty @ 77%(?)

• Thread starter Thread starter varkey
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 420
  • Views Views 60,268
@JamesHolden25 Honestly I am not sure how legit the item is, but to me it doesn't make much sense to order something like this especially with shipping restrictions for such items. Might just end up paying a lot more for a mediocre product.

Yep, I see that Buyandship increased prices, but still it isn't that bad. They also applied a 5$ credit to my account as part of some promotion, I am guessing to compensate for the price hike at least during the initial days.

@varkey yeah so I will get it from Amazon. URBN is selling a 20 Ah powerbank with 22.5w charging for almost 1.6k. That's cheap. So will get that instead of ordering from AliExpress.

What's a good AliExpress alternative? Need a decent site for those small knick knacks that we don't get on domestic markets and online.

I'm planning to order 2 parts for my 6.5 yr Dell Latitude E5540 laptop from parts-people.com. The total value of the 2 parts is around 46 usd. They ship to India via fedex and the shipping charges are around 40 usd additional.

I couldn't find the above parts anywhere else. Hence planning to order them from US online. Will there be any customs duty on the parts worth 46 usd or will the customs duty be levied on total 86 usd including shipping. If so, what will be the approx duty. Thanks in advance.

@Venkata Ramesh Chandra V What is the weight of the package? It might be cheaper to use Buyandship and get the parts shipped to their US address and then forward it to India.

Customs, yes, all shipments coming via express courier would have duty attached irrespective of the value. If you do not have an IEC, it would be 41% plus Fedex's handling charge of Rs 500-600 + tax.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buyandship is like any freight forwarder, you get the item shipped to their local warehouse and then they forward it to the final destination. Usually its much cheaper than shipping it directly from the supplier.

For 3 lbs, Buyandship would charge around 20 USD (after including the signup credit). You'd probably have to pay 5 USD or so to get the item shipped to their US warehouse from the seller. Another advantage with Buyandship is that, you can declare the price as you'd like (😉)

Will the 41% be levied on 46usd (parts cost only) or 86 usd (parts+shipping). Thanks in advance.

Depends on how the seller invoices the item. If the invoice includes shipping cost, then yes the 41% would be on the total. If the invoice includes only item cost ie FOB, then 20% of the item cost is added as insurance and freight charges for customs calculation. So it can be either 55 USD or 85 USD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buyandship uses Aramex, so clearance charges are lesser 300 + tax vs 500 + tax. And Fedex is a nightmare to deal with, the have outsourced KYC and other stuff to some 3rd party and they suck.

Plus as I said, you have the advantage to declare the item value appropriately (😉) on Buyandship and mostly they declare it as FOB reducing the overall cost.

Last edited: