All international "Gift" packages now liable for customs duty @ 77%(?)

• Thread starter Thread starter varkey
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 420
  • Views Views 60,515
So blaming it on my own naivety and having had no prior issues/experiences with import duties (the purchases were <2000) on top of being unaware of the insane current rates, I ordered a ps5 from Dubai.

My order is still under clearance process by the custom duties (shipped by DHL) and it would be great if you could give some insights on it from what ECCS says (which only came to know about here thanks to you) about it now-

Tracking no.- 7908927246, courier-DHL

Of course I'm dreading the inevitable 77% on the whole bill of around 65k (1 console pack + 1 extra controller), but the eccs site has been showing an assessed value of around 7500 since yesterday.

Obviously I take this with a grain of salt since this could just be the assessed value of the extra controller I ordered, but what's your take on this, could this possibly still be what the final rate of the whole shipment is going to be till the end?

@arnav1995 It appears you have declared the item as a gift so 77% duty would apply on the assessable value. If this was just a personal import, duty would have been just 41% or so.

For whatever reason, the assessable value is shown as Rs 7475 (for the entire shipment), perhaps it was undervalued or declared incorrectly by the seller/shipper. If this goes as is and the assessing officer does not raise any query, you'd only have to pay the duty of Rs 5776 or so as shown (plus DHL's clearance charges etc, 500/600+tax or so)

However if they think the declaration is improper and does a manual evaluation, the assessable value can go up and you might end up paying 77% of the assessed value. If you are getting this as multiple shipments (different tracking numbers), that would also explain the current ECCS status.

I'd say wait for 2-3 days more and see how the ECCS status changes.

@varkey Appreciate the comprehensive answer. The classification part is weird because at no point was I given a chance to make a choice of my shipment being a gift/personal item.

Yeah hopefully through some stroke of luck (highly unlikely) the assessed value remains the same, I say this because there was already a query raised yesterday which got resolved today and the assessed price hasn't changed at all even after the shipment's supposed appraisal.

Also both the items are under the same tracking number and there have already been two custom entries and evaluations over the past 2-3 days, today's being the second one. That being said I am bracing for a change in the assessed value on the eccs website or through a DHL mail soon.

Is there no possible way for me to classify my shipment as an item of personal use now? I can produce the invoice for my purchase, but
I suppose the shipment is at a point of no return now?

Last edited:
I see, from where did you purchase the item @arnav1995? I think at this point, maybe just wait it out, and see what happens. There might be an option where you can raise a complaint with DHL to get the package re-evaluated. However this might take time and during this time the package would be held with DHL (and most likely they would charge you storage fees)

The classification is based on the declaration by the seller/shipper.

@varkey Sorry for replying late

That is indeed.... some luck there, I have no clue what transpired for it to have bypassed the actual rates especially when I got a mail saying that there was going to be a 100% inspection of my shipment by the customs. I purchased it from a decently reputed gaming store in Dubai Shopping Cart Software & Ecommerce Software Solutions by CS-Cart.

Thanks to you too for giving some respite in this stressful experience.

Yeah this is the first time I am seeing something like this for a fairly high value item, I mean a 65k worth item cleared with a value of 7k 😀. When you get the copy of the bill of entry (BOE), would you mind sharing the product description and the declared value etc (do mask your address and other sensitive details though)?

Also, just sharing an observation, in the DHL tracking, until the package went for clearance, it showed 2 pieces, but after that its showing only 1 piece (I believe its referring to the number of boxes). Perhaps its just a data entry error.

6RBt8qE.png

@varkey Oh sure I will definitely share the bill once the package arrives.

I was concerned about that 1 item thing too but I contacted their customer care and they told me that it's just a transportation delay between both the items due to connectivity issues, weird why they wouldn't bring both the items to the sort facility together.

No re-checking from the customs or anything of that sort left now according to them.

Thanks, so it was declared as "Video Games" and not a gaming console 😁That might have made a difference I guess. 😀

Also, I was referring to the BOE (Bill of entry) (this is a document which shows the customs assessment details, which tariff was applied etc) and not the purchase invoice / bill. Usually its emailed to you by the carrier when requested (although Aramex emails it without even asking).

In the past, I've had to send an email to inboereq@dhl.com to get it, not sure if things have changed now.

Jeez, people getting 50k shits for 5k customs and here i announced the value correct and paying 6k customs on 18k assess value and i am still stuck at customs for manual examination -.-

I think that means it's cleared. If you check the top of the BOE (for your previous shipments for example), it says OOC issued on so and so date and time.