All international "Gift" packages now liable for customs duty @ 77%(?)

• Thread starter Thread starter varkey
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 420
  • Views Views 60,275
@varkey I need a monitor worth $500 from Amazon US. Will buy it some time in June/July. How to get the IEC? Is the IEC compulsory when getting via buyandship? If not, what would be the duty? I'm thinking of declaring the value of the monitor at $200 for saving on duty. Is that possible? Monitor is this one

20 lb shipping weight for that unit, so 120 USD for shipping. Without IEC duty would be 41% or so, so 210 USD as duty. Comes to around 500 + 120 + 210, so 830 USD. Works to be around 62k.

With IEC the duty would be around 30% (need to confirm though, shows multiple customs tariff for monitor)

@JamesHolden25

@varkey How did you get BuyandShip to use your IEC with the shipments? I don't see any option anywhere and when I contacted them they said this service is only for personal use so they cannot accept IECs.

@kage I got the same response, but my IEC and other docs were already with Aramex cause of my previous shipments (non BuyAndShip). So it automatically gets cleared with my IEC.

Perhaps you can contact Aramex to get the IEC tagged to your KYC docs. I have a Aramex ShopAndShip account, that's how my IEC was first registered or tagged to my KYC docs.

Import Export Code, lets you get shipments cleared at categories wise duty instead of a default rate for any category item (42% for personal shipments)

With IEC most electronic items get cleared at 18%.

@kage I got the same response, but my IEC and other docs were already with Aramex cause of my previous shipments (non BuyAndShip). So it automatically gets cleared with my IEC.

Perhaps you can contact Aramex to get the IEC tagged to your KYC docs. I have a Aramex ShopAndShip account, that's how my IEC was first registered or tagged to my KYC docs.

Ah alright. Thanks for the info!

If I may ask, what made you choose BuyandShip over ShopandShip, considering you already had an account there?

BuyandShip turned out to be cheaper. ShopAndShip charges 10$ for first half kg, and 8$ for each additional kg. GST on top of it.

So one of my recent package which weighed 11.6 lb costed 72 USD on BuyAndShip. On Aramex ShopNShip it would have costed 107 USD. Plus on Buyandship, you can easily get creative with the shipment value 😉

hey @varkey , i had a question, i see you are quite knowledgeable about IEC and such, i have IEC and got it added to my S&S accoutn too, however i am planning to buy 2 headphones from US, worth about $220 total, any idea how much customs would it entail? And what would be better using S&S, MyUS or Buyandship?

I heard DHL & Fedex taken 590rs for customs advancement wheras i remember Aramex takes 118rs for the service. Please correct me if i am wrong.

I've not used MyUS, so unsure about that. But out of S&S and Buyandship, I think I will prefer Buyandship. Buyandship also sends via Aramex from HK, so your IEC/KYC tied your S&S account would automatically be used for Buyandship (ensure address and phone number etc is same)

Aramex now charges Rs 300+tax as customs clearance service charge, but yes DHL/FedEx charges Rs 500+tax or maybe even more.

Looks like headphones come under CTH 85183000, which comes to around 30% duty (when imported with an IEC), personal import would be at 42%

@varkey thanks for the reply 🙂. Which is better? Aramex charging me $40 + that 300rs, wheras DHL Express is charging me $46 + 500 for 1-4days delivery from US of A. Is there much difference in terms of speed? PS: DHL is from myus.com and i have no idea how to give DHL Express my IEC (I assume i will get message for it).

Also you said 30% Duty, then i would assume there would be 10% Social Welfare charges on the duty and 28% GST as well on Duty and the headset?

What's the weight of the package? Based on the 46 USD myUS quote, I think around 5 lbs. So with Buyandship, it would be only 30 USD (or 25 USD with a referral). Buyandship would take 2 weeks for delivery though (US --> HK --> India).

I am not sure of the process of for DHL, but for FedEx, its a night mare. Since your IEC is already with Aramex, it would be painless.

Based on Custom Import Duty of HS Code 85183000 After GST India its 30% total (incl duty + gst + cess etc)

@sonuyos No problem. With Buyandship, you declare the item value and item type yourself, which might be helpful 😉 Also, Aramex S&S isn't that fast either, I think it would take 10-15 days. If you need it quick, go for DHL but between S&S and Buyandship, I'd choose Buyandship.

The link doesn't seem to work, could you please add a screenshot.

@varkey, that $220 figure is post value "correction" 😉

For Buyandship, i cannot see an option for India. Also, do you have any ref id? I can sign up with it and give you some kickback.

I am really inclined towards DHL, as i will save sales tax in USA by using myus.com and they are charging me $46 + customs.

Buyandship will charge me $30, but sales tax would add $30 more i think. (unless its in sales tax free state)

Screenshot - Screenshot