All about DLINK 502T and BSNL Dataone

• Thread starter Thread starter mprem
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 26
  • Views Views 13,330

mprem

Ok, so you decided to buy your own modem and chose D-Link 502T. Now you have a modem, you've got your broadband username and pw, but it just won't connect! And BSNL won't support!!! Here's what I learnt - PLEASE DO THIS ONLY IF YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE DOING else take help of your local DLINK support or vendor.

1. There are several posts on the net on the quality of 502T - the device getting faulty too often, necessitating change.
2. My experience makes me believe that this is partly true - mine went blank except for the power LED 2 days from purchase.
3. This was because of a defective firmware. So ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE FIRMWARE VER V2.00B01T01.ML.20050530 (note last 4 digits - seems a date) or later. This is the stable version. If your version is earlier, contact your dlink support (check dlink.co.in site for your city contacts) or upgrade on the web, if you are sure what you are doing.
4. The earlier version apparently caused the chip to blow under some circumstances, which made the modem highly unreliable.
5. The present version is claimed to be stable by DLINK personnel.
6. Configure your PC as suggested by BSNL on their website. The manual can be downloaded at http://www.bangaloretelecom.com/dataone/us...anual_MT880.zip
7. Dont worry - although it is called the MT880.zip and is primarily meant for MT880 configuration, basic PC configuration remains the same.
8. In your DLINK 502T, disable all virtual circuits except PVC3. Yes, disable PVC0, apply, reboot. Do the same for PVC1. Doubly recheck that these are disabled. Similarly enable PVC3. To do all these, use the HOME / WAN tabs. Everytime you change, apply change (the green tick button) and wait for the screen to refresh. Reboot whenever you make a change. For rebooting, go to TOOLS / MISC - save and reboot. Have patience and wait for the process to complete.
9. Configure PVC 3 as follows: VPI 0, VCI 35, Vir Circ "enabled", WAN setting PPPoE, username (remember to add "@dataone" after your username), password, Leave everything else at default numbers. Apply changes, wait for refresh, Reboot. Again be patient.
10. For me, this worked like a dream.
11. Thanks to the person, who told me about the firmware version, and PVC3.

Happy surfing.

Let me know what your experiences are.

what's special about PV3 and how is it different from PVC0???the default is PVC0 and i think everyone here is connected like that only...so can u pls tell us the difference so that we also get the best, if there is any??? 🙂

I have mentioned here what worked for me. If PVC 0 works, then happy for all of us! Not sure of answers to your query, will do some research, and post again, if I find good answers. Thanks.

well, sure...seems u got offended...wonder why...or may be i'm reading just too much 😉 :lol:

PVC0 or PVC3 does not matter. The value of VPI and VCI must be 0, and 35 respectively to connect to BSNL. So you can set this to any PVC and make that enable.Regards

um...no u cant, if u try to make it 35 for PVC0 - u get the message - "Already assigned".so u HAVE to switch to PVC3. Believe me, I TRIED 🙂

Yes, you are right. You can not assign duplicate values to different PVC's. But if first you change values in PVC3 to some other values and then you can assign those values in PVC0.So it is depends on you which PVC you want to use as such I dont think it matter.Regards

Originally posted by mprem@Aug 12 2005, 09:32 PM
Ok, so you decided to buy your own modem and chose D-Link 502T.  Now you have a modem, you've got your broadband username and pw, but it just won't connect!  And BSNL won't support!!! Here's what I learnt - PLEASE DO THIS ONLY IF YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE DOING else take help of your local DLINK support or vendor.

1.  There are several posts on the net on the quality of 502T - the device getting faulty too often, necessitating change.
2.  My experience makes me believe that this is partly true - mine went blank except for the power LED 2 days from purchase.
3.  This was because of a defective firmware.  So ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE FIRMWARE VER V2.00B01T01.ML.20050530 (note last 4 digits - seems a date) or later.  This is the stable version.  If your version is earlier, contact your dlink support (check dlink.co.in site for your city contacts) or upgrade on the web, if you are sure what you are doing.
4.  The earlier version apparently caused the chip to blow under some circumstances, which made the modem highly unreliable.
5.  The present version is claimed to be stable by DLINK personnel.
6.  Configure your PC as suggested by BSNL on their website.  The manual can be downloaded at http://www.bangaloretelecom.com/dataone/us...anual_MT880.zip
7.  Dont worry - although it is called the MT880.zip and is primarily meant for MT880 configuration, basic PC configuration remains the same.
8.  In your DLINK 502T, disable all virtual circuits except PVC3.  Yes, disable PVC0, apply, reboot.  Do the same for PVC1.  Doubly recheck that these are disabled.  Similarly enable PVC3.  To do all these, use the HOME / WAN tabs.  Everytime you change, apply change (the green tick button) and wait for the screen to refresh.  Reboot whenever you make a change.  For rebooting, go to TOOLS / MISC - save and reboot.  Have patience and wait for the process to complete.
9.  Configure PVC 3 as follows:  VPI 0, VCI 35, Vir Circ \"enabled\", WAN setting PPPoE, username (remember to add \"@dataone\" after your username), password, Leave everything else at default numbers.  Apply changes, wait for refresh, Reboot.  Again be patient.
10.  For me, this worked like a dream.
11.  Thanks to the person, who told me about the firmware version, and PVC3.

Happy surfing.

Let me know what your experiences are.
[snapback]21099[/snapback]
[/quote]

This information really helped. I had problems with the BSNL supplied modem twice before I finally decided to install the 502T. There's one problem though, I am unable to save the settings when the router is powered down. Each time its powered ON, I am required to enter the usename and password in the WAN settings for the PvC3 option, and then it connects.
Suggestions anyone?

Originally posted by onyxson@Jan 26 2006, 09:31 AM
This information really helped. I had problems with the BSNL supplied modem twice before I finally decided to install the 502T. There's one problem though, I am unable to save the settings when the router is powered down. Each time its powered ON, I am required to enter the usename and password in the WAN settings for the PvC3 option, and then it connects.
Suggestions anyone?
[snapback]40484[/snapback]
[/quote]

Next time when u enter the user name and pwd....in PVC 3... go to Tools-- select Misc.. and then press the last button (which says Reboot)... your user name and pwd will be saved in the modem....

I bought a D-Link 502 T ADSL Modem/Router and applied for BSNL broadband. I got my username and password from BSNL. They said that the contractor they hired for setting up the connection at the user premises was too busy. I was struggling to setup the connection in PVC0, but couldnt set the VCI value to 35, it wont accept. After following your guide, now I have successfully setup the connection. Thanks a lot mprem... for your post. 🙂

Glad to be of assistance - fills me with joy, that this post has actually helped people. And thanks for your spontaneous reactions folks.

PVC-Permanent Virtual Circuit makes no diff ,it is just a name assingned to a set of vpi vci settingsdelete all the pvc and then config the modem .this is how it is to be done.