• Thread starter Thread starter techtata
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 1,857

techtata

Regular
ISP
Tata Indicom
Hi,Can jQuery and Ajax be used at the same time (in the same web site) with PHP? I am a little unsure about the exact uses of both ie jQuery and Ajax. Please tell me as to when one should used Ajax (with PHP) and jQuery (with PHP), thanks.

I guess u can use both, PHP has no relation to use of Ajax or jQuery. PHP is language run on server, Ajax/jQuery is run on client. you can use Ajax as long as it doesnt interfere with jQuery objects.(jQuery itself is based on Ajax)

Hi Amish,

Thanks for a fine reply. Yes, I agree that PHP runs on the server while jQuery and AJAX on the client. As far as I understand AJAX cotains the following as mentioned here at this url.

Ajax (programming) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

* HTML or XHTML and CSS for presentation
* the Document Object Model (DOM) for dynamic display of and interaction with data
* XML for the interchange of data, and XSLT for its manipulation
* the XMLHttpRequest object for asynchronous communication
* JavaScript to bring these technologies together

While jQuery contains the following as per this page

jQuery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

jQuery contains the following features:

* DOM element selections using the cross-browser open source selector engine Sizzle, a spin-off out of the jQuery project[9]
* DOM traversal and modification (including support for CSS 1-3)
* Events
* CSS manipulation
* Effects and animations
* Ajax
* Extensibility through plug-ins
* Utilities - such as browser version and the each function.
* Cross-browser support

If jQuery contains AJAX then what is the need to use AJAX separately? Sorry, but I am new to both AJAX and jQuery and in the process of finding out as to which one to use and when.

Please help me, thanks

AJAX is a term for advanced scripting/language. jQuery is code, its not a language. jQuery uses AJAX (it does not contain AJAX) and it also helps u do lots of stuff easily without writing detail code.