airtel's smtp

ISP
airtel/128k
hi,shifted to airtel home699 from hotwire 96k yesterday. however, when trying to send emails through smtp.touchtelindia.net, i get the following message (in eudora): "sender address rejected: access denied."has anyone experienced this before? know of reasons/causes/workarounds?thanks-tsap.s. the email address being used is non-touchtelindia.net (if that's what they provide with their packages)

how can you send it through their smtp servers? touchtel's servers will allow only their users to send the email! Suppose you have a gmail account then you need to use google's smtp servers viz. smtp.gmail.com

dude i think u need to first create an email @ touchtelindia.com by loggin into the CP at north.touchtelindia.net.

yeah, i mean thats obvious. You need to be a customer with a valid address @touchtel. Why would the smtp server relay your message from the touchtel domain if it doesnt know you in the first place?!

Originally posted by max@Nov 12 2005, 09:22 PM
yeah, i mean thats obvious. You need to be a customer with a valid address @touchtel. Why would the smtp server relay your message from the touchtel domain if it doesnt know you in the first place?!
[snapback]31674[/snapback]
[/quote]

;-) but i am an airtel-bb customer now! made the @touchtelindia.net address, but even if one sends mail after logging in at pop3.touchtelindia.net, it disallows the email client to set the 'reply-to' flag.

what does this signify? to me, many things.

the first emerges from the question, "why the need to set a value in the reply-to field other than my username@touchtelindia.net?" it's answer is simple: we've been around longer than airtel-bb, and, in most cases, our email addresses too. dumping these addresses is impractical, and even more so, when all that one is doing, is shifting from one (access) service to another. it's important, this point about access, the shift (minor that it is) being similar to taking one bus route and not another --- the aim in both procedures/methods remains the same i.e. doing and getting done what one has to do, on the internet.

second, this points to the possibility that airtel might soon fall for the lazy option of assuing a one-size-fits-all formula for internet. their people who came here/home testified to the massive expansion of their customer base, solely due to the home699/999 plans. a newspaper yesterday wrote about airtel offering to wire up hundreds of sarkari buildings in central delhi. all of these are indications, that in the deluge of new connections and installations, their CC people are dumbing themselves down, and their marketing monkeys are smelling another set of opportunities to gouge the more experienced users.

#3: "gouge"? asking about reply-to (how miniscule an issue this should be in a user's experience!), i was told by a supervisor "you need to register your email address(es) with or.s@touchtelindia.net AND THEN PAY rs. 1199 per year, to enable this 'feature'."

mmm mmm "whaddafuh?" is all i can exclaim! rs. 1199 for what? something that every ISP/service i've been on till now (ernet, vsnl student accounts, vsnl, satyam, now-india, hathway, hotwire, and the countless of communally distributed/shared usernames and passwords we've all found/script-kiddied/swapped/utilized, back in the days of BO) has just had?

the big bad rakshasa of spam is a pathetic excuse, especially when 1199*2=2398 (my, and my family's long time email addresses).

if anyone else is facing this issue, and is unsure of how to get around it, here's a possible solution: run your own smtp server, as and when you need it. heck, if all the mass mailing worms and virii of the last few years propagated themselves by catapulting themselves via outlook/WAB with mini smtp engines, there's no need to rely on microsoft (but is there ever?) and IIS. this seems to be a good option: http://www.qksoft.com/ .

Originally posted by testsubjectalpha@Nov 15 2005, 10:19 AM
if anyone else is facing this issue, and is unsure of how to get around it, here's a possible solution: run your own smtp server, as and when you need it. heck, if all the mass mailing worms and virii of the last few years propagated themselves by catapulting themselves via outlook/WAB with mini smtp engines, there's no need to rely on microsoft (but is there ever?) and IIS. this seems to be a good option: http://www.qksoft.com/ .
[snapback]31982[/snapback]
[/quote]

I will strongly advise against doing that. Ther eare high chances that your emails will be marked as SPAM.

Reason, default rules in email filters mark ANY email originating on a server bound on dynamic IP to be SPAM.

Solution,

1. Have you tried enabling SMTP authentication?
2. Buy web hosting from a cheapo web host (roughly USD 2 per month) most web host will allow you to send emails from ANY address (provided you authinticate yourself as a paid user)

hi NF,
thanks for the heads-up.

i tried using smtp authentication for smtp.touchtelindia.net, but the server _refuses_ to send anything that doesn't have reply-to set as something@touchtelindia.net.

the possibility of being marked for/as spam is much more worrying. gmail's spam protection has worked quite well for me, so tested (on) that. here's what i got:

Received-SPF: fail (gmail.com: domain of -[mydomain : had to give it in qksmtp's setup]- does not designate 61.246.xxx.xxx as permitted sender)
Received-Path:
Received: from localhost[127.0.0.1] (helo=MAIN.gmx.net) by
localhost[127.0.0.1] with esmtp (QK SMTP Server 3);Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:13:46
+0530
Message-Id:
X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Version 6.2.5.6
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:11:26 +0530
To: testsubjectalpha@gmail.com

--

this same email got filtered into junk by yahoo, but not hotmail.

as is obvious, the issue isn't completely resolved. what could the talking points be, in a conversation with airtel customer care? smtp authentication (but that doesn't work, in terms of reply-to).... ?

additionally, (just checked), hotmail tagged the test message with the following:"The sender of this message could not be verified by Sender ID. Learn more about Sender ID."more hmm...

an interesting twist: airtel's smtp doesn't need authentication. but it _needs_ reply-to as a touchtelindia address.to put it cynically (the tone in my earliest message was indignation, btw):all they want, to allow messages to be routed through their servers, is an assurance that the subscriber will read the reply to that email, on airtel/touchtel's own servers.sushubh, you've been with airtel for a while... (but, then, you've been running your own domains too, so maybe you've solved the problem with netfreak's suggestion #2)... kya karaa jaaye? is trying to convince airtel (take on a megacorp minions, pre-programmed to deliver standard replies to customers, haha :-( ) the only possibility?

well i am a frustrated user of pop/smtp mail services and clients. when gmail launched, i moved to it completely. so cannot be of much help here.

umm....yes, why dont you guys stop your whining and shift to gmail. It is superior to airtel's email account in every possible way! Plus you wont have any nonsense about reply-to or such fields....