Airtel's DSL absolutely rocks

• Thread starter Thread starter appu
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 8,911
Status
Not open for further replies.

appu

We (me and 4 friends) have one 64 unlimited Airtel DSL connection in Bangalore for close to two months now. Things are so good that I got an additional 128 unlimited and we'll most probably also upgrade the existing 64 to 128.The only other DSL provider I've had experience with before was Dishnet in Hyderabad, and boy did they s*ck? They are I think responsible for the loss of junta's confidence in anything DSL but with guys like Airtel in the business we only have good times ahead of us.Appu

Touchel had me surprised as well. 🙂

I had a Touchtel connection for close to 5 months now and I have been very happy with the service. However, I recently moved over to sify to compare and found that the average speeds provided by Sify was far higher than Touchtel. On a 128 kbps connection, the typical download speeds I used to get on a Touchtel DSL (128 kbps) is about 45-80 kbps (Avg. of 60 kbps).
Check out http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/Summary...ZZMLW7ZHNUSWYCE

On the other hand with Sify, when things are working fine I usually get average speeds of 120 kbps. Sometime they go beserk and I get speeds like this...
http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/Summary...M4D9W7ZHNUSLZCE

On the otherhand, the Touchtel experience has a professional touch which I must say is a little lacking with Sify. With Sify, I often end up speaking to a Customer service rep who hardly understands what I am trying to communicate. Definitely gives a poor impression. They don't respond to your emails as well.

Sharath 🙂

Originally posted by appu@Sep 25 2004, 09:04 PM
We (me and 4 friends) have one 64 unlimited Airtel DSL connection in Bangalore for close to two months now. Things are so good that I got an additional 128 unlimited and we'll most probably also upgrade the existing 64 to 128.

The only other DSL provider I've had experience with before was Dishnet in Hyderabad, and boy did they s*ck? They are I think responsible for the loss of junta's confidence in anything DSL but with guys like Airtel in the business we only have good times ahead of us.

Appu
[snapback]616[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hi Sharath,I am very interested in taking a Touchtel DSL connection when I return to Bangalore (I'm in Paris right now on an onsite trip). But I need to know one thing --> what DSL modem does Touchtel provide and how does it connect to the computer - Ethernet or USB? Thanks a lot!Regards,- John

Hi John,

Airtel has two options.

1. DSL Router (Ethernet Interface to the computer)
2. DSL Modem (USB interface to the computer)

The USB DSL modems are of various makes. There is no standard for the same. I think they are sourced from Taiwan. However, they have been reliable and have had no issues. Airtel offers two choices for this. Outright purchase of the modem or rental. Rental will cost you Rs.99/month. An outright purchase will set up back by 2-3 K I think.

You will need a DSL router if you are using a Mac OS or Linux because Airtel does not have drivers for the USB modem on these platforms. The rental for the DSL router is Rs. 299 / month I think. An outright purchase should be fairly expensive I guess. Wouldn
t reccomend it.

Check out this Review I had written sometime ago on Mouthshut. Most of it still holds good with some minor changes.

Sharath

Originally posted by John Jacob@Oct 28 2004, 08:42 PM
Hi* Sharath,

I am very interested in taking a Touchtel DSL connection when I return to Bangalore (I'm in Paris right now on an onsite trip). But I need to know one thing --> what DSL modem does Touchtel provide and how does it connect to the computer - Ethernet or USB?

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
- John
[snapback]1257[/snapback]
[/quote]

Touchtel / Airtel DSL uses PPP over ATM which would have a 20 % odd overheadSo a 128 Kbps line in effect gives you around 12 - 13 KBps instead of the expect 15 KBps odd speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.