Airtel Xstream Fiber - Public IPv4/CGNAT

• Thread starter Thread starter Gaurav15
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 38
  • Views Views 5,522
And why would you want to connect to another concentrator?? Each connection is assigned to a BRAS server and these are things that can only be configured and changed by Airtel at the NOC.

I know that, that's why I said I forgot what my original purpose was.

Must have been to check if it makes a diff to ping/latency/speed etc..aur kya hoga? 😀

No, some PPPoE concentrators are kept for initial setup purpose, they move to another concentrator after that. Those PPPoE concentrators still assign public IPs.

oh ok, guess it's like the public dynamic IPv4 when you get a new line and then change of BRAS and voila.. a CGNAT address! Only Airtel knows why they do it but I can guess it is to make $$ with static IPs that are becoming increasingly more expensive for ISPs and customers alike to own. When I got my 1st S-IP it was 99/- and now 199/- like 2x.

I mean, IPv4 is expensive so you can't blame them. Constantly increasing subscribers, I think the Airtel's initial configuration is hard coded with the list of PPPoE ACs (I saw it in the firmware) so they have just kept them alive for this initial setup. Then they push new firmware via TR069 and then move to the new ACs. On a new setup, there's no IPv6 assigned until they switch to different AC.

You can try requesting public ip from Airtel atleast one time

I was also facing the same issue, Recently moved to CGNAT and my VPN and IP camera are stop responding

I opened the ticket, discussion, discussion and let them understand my issue to each and every person from executive to airtel backend team, They always saying to take static IP. I never share otp to close my issue and never said my issue is resolved and only said my configuration is not same as before, I always said "If you can't provide me a resolution, provide me a email in writing why you can't fix this, for me this issue is not resolved"

And I only said to them, my IP is not same in router which is visible on the google, Earlier, this was not the case, from past 6 months, I have same IP both in router and google.
They assigned one backend technical person and do a home visit, Person takes complete 3 hours at my home and he is saying the same thing with backend team member and backend team will fixing the thing for them, later they get to know the my pool is in CGNAT, they put me on dynamic Public IP pool and issue is resolved
Now, I don't know how much time I'm will be on public IP, its been 20 days, I'm still on public ip and looking more so..

I get to know, Airtel has two pools for each PPPoe
CGNAT and Dynamic public IP pool,

Consider requesting to set your credentials to dynamic public ip first before asking static ip if you are managing through ddns.

@scn thanks for your post, i can attest to this. when i got the connection initially, i was getting a public dynamic IP then 2 weeks later, boom, i am on CGNAT, i just gave up then.

but 2-3 weeks ago i started sending email to support, asking for static IP (i have no issue in paying for it) but then they say static IP is only available for postpaid customers and since postpaid itself is not available in my area, they cannot give me static IP.
i said fine, give me public dynamic IP and i know its possible because i was getting initially, but then they started giving same canned response, i even tried to include appellate authority but muc to my surprise, i received the exact same response.

frustrated i asked chatGPT to write a very hars email for this situation, included their nodal office and and couple other email IDs. haha
and i receive a call from customer representative same evening asking details about my queries, since he couldnt understand exactly he assigned someone from "backend technical person" he asked to do a home visit and tried to enable DMZ to resolve my "access my pc from outside" issue.
but then saw the ip is diff on router and google, understood it is CGNATED.
tried to sell me the B2B connection (which would require GST cert, which i dont have and neither is something my company would give me), because B2B conn are postpaid i would be able to get static IP, but i would have to purchase the 1499 plan, i said fine, give me info on same email chain.

and voila, he called the airtel NOC in front of me and they told that profile can be changed to dynamic public pool instead of CGNAT pool, that was yesterday, he left and told me he would do the internal formalities (raising internal SR and mails to internal teams). now i am waiting for the result, will wait 2-3 days more and then raise commotion again. haha

so yeah, what you said is entirely true, just waiting for results on my part.

UPDATE 2 hour later: its done, i am now getting public IP

Last edited: