Airtel Xstream Fiber - Public IPv4/CGNAT

• Thread starter Thread starter Gaurav15
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 38
  • Views Views 5,525
Airtel is moving to CGNAT in a phase wise manner. So it might happen after a while.
I was on CGNAT in Pune but due to a tech issue they changed my router. However this change was kind of treated by Airtel as new connection and I got public IPv4 for a week and then it became CGNAT.
So alternatively it could be that a new connection gets public IPv4 by default for a while before changing it to CGNAT in Airtel.

Discuss with backend NOC team and if they confirm this is how it is or soon your place is moving to CGNAT then get static IP after the change happens if it's not urgent.

Yeah when there's a new connection, you get public IP for a while until they push the changes

Even though there are ways to access your system behind NAT thru various VPN services and other tools some are free for personal use but for me public IP v4 is a feel good factor!!🙂
Of course now u have IPv6 which is not NATed
I changed from ISP to ISP available in my area as they slowly moved to CGNAT e.g. spectra was initially offering public IP but long back they moved to NAT. Then I changed to Airtel. now nowhere to go except static IP v4!

Another option to avoid CGNAT and still not pay for public IP is to enable the bridge mode on the main router.
This way you'll get a non-nat'd network and you'll be able to host your services publicly.
Just one caveat, the IP won't be static, as soon as you reboot your router the IP will change.
You can use a dynamic DNS service to bypass this issue.

You won't get a "Non Nated" network, the PPPoE Concentrator will still assign you a CGNAT IP

Isn't that the whole point of enabling the bridge mode?
Not challenging you just a genuine question. Because I thought it was, and that's the whole reason I got it in the first place.

Not sure if this is the case with everyone, for me it works and I get an actual public IP and a non nat'd network.
I publicly host quite a number of services by using a free dynamic DNS service.

That's how I have been using it for the past 1 year, has worked without any problems.

Bridge mode simply means that the router has turned off its routing functionality and will just function as a ONT. You might have gotten lucky and the PPPoE server still assigns Public IP to you. Or maybe the technician that configured your bridge mode made changes so you'll get public IP? I don't know

No Bridge mode is so that both your router's aren't assigning private IP address's. If bridge mode is not used then 1'st router would assign a private ip to second router (let's say 198.168.1.2) and secount router would then assign private dns to devices like your phone (which again could be 192.168.1.2). If you enable bridge mode then your first router will not assign any private ip and act's as a device which receives and transmits signals (basically an ONT) so your 1'st router will assign whatever ip address airtel gives to the second router and only the secount router assigns private ip addresses. Also usually bridge mode is enabled only for a specific Ethernet port so for only that port it acts like a ONT. For other ports it will still act like a router.

I am pretty sure bridge mode didn't have anything to do with you getting a public ip. Some areas/connections still have public ip. I personally still have public ip which as you said only changes when your router is reset or connection fails from airtel side like you said.

Though I have a static IP when I shift to PPPoE I get a dynamic public IPv4. So not all areas are NATed yet.

That reminds me, @Chip which PPPoE server does your connection use? Check for "PPPoE Concentrator" in the WAN Status