Airtel Xstream Broadband has switched to CG Nat

I am also back to CG NAT.

Still getting a public IPv4 and I think they've rolled out v6 in the area. Checking.

PS - Yep, IPv6 rolled out. It's there on the Nokia ONT and being delegated to any device on the ONT's WiFi. No wonder there was so much of downtime yesterday. A network backend systems upgrade apparently.

Now to check if it works with pfSense, static IPv4 and the rest of my network. I'll update later

Last edited:
Can confirm my Airtel connection has been moved to CG-Nat (Bengaluru)
My Public IP (starts with 127.171.X.X) & the router Wan IP on PPoE (100.102.X.X) is differerent 🙁
as soon as the move was done to CG-Nat, all my port forwading stopped working and I am unable to access my homeassitant server remotely

I have sent a mail to Airtel and also raised a complaint asking them to move be back tp Public IP address..

If I opt for a static IP will my issue be resolved ? will port forwading work ?

@deepakdcg it best you go in for a static IP in case you're accessing your home server remotely. Even if they move you to a dynamic public IP it can change at intervals and cause you connectivity issues. Static IP costs Rs 199+tax per mth.

Airtel will in all likelyhood eventually move to CG-NAT in most areas and give out only public IPv6 addresses.

If I opt for a static IP will my issue be resolved ? will port forwading work ?
That's really the only option you have if Airtel refuses to switch you back to a public IP. And the way things are going, they probably might refuse too!
Airtel is expanding fast and there aren't a lot many public IPv4 addresses available anyway! Eventually, everyone will need to pay for a public IPv4 address

@doineedto yes, that's the idea...passing on the cost of a public v4 address to the customer. If you want it, pay for it.

Well, @doineedto , I get a public v4 and an v6 when I shift to DHCP..but then you never know when they'll shift to CGNAT + v6.

Guess Jio is better for hosting services just because atleast they allocate static ipv6 block instead of dynamic ipv6 in Airtel. Managing home network properly is impossible with dynamic ipv6.