Airtel XStream 3999 plan will come with a complimentary 1GBps Wifi Router

People,
I have a gigabit plan with Airtel and trust me with the router they give (Nokia G-2425G-A, GPON ONT device) is at it's worst.
Here are my max speeds on speedtest.net

Over ethernet:
Device: Dell Precision 5540, Thunderbolt 3 port
On route mode from router: 720 Mbps down (@ 2:00 AM)

Over Wifi:
Wifi Device: Google Nest router (connected from that nokia router on route mode)
Wifi Client: Intel Wireless-AC 9260 (rev 29) on my precision
Speed on 5.0 Ghz: 480 Mbps

LAN bridging doesn't work. My Nest routers are connecting with PPPoE credentials with that router but unable to connect to internet.
WAN bridging is disabled on that nokia router,
To enable WAN bridging, we have to get a static IP which is 99/- per month.

I opted for it yesterday. The wait time for activation according to airtel is 3 days.
Fingers crossed, If that modem/router has WAN bridging enabled, My Nest router will boost the speed for sure.
Atleast hoping to get 850 down (over ethernet), That would be great.

According to airtel engineers, This router is the highest available.

My date of activation: January 17, 2020. (KYC and installation and activation was done on same day. under 3 hours)

I hope this information is useful in some or the other way.

+1 Info: Sad part is, According to airtel engineers, WE HAVE TO USE THE MODEM/ROUTER provided by them inorder to get connected to WWW.
I thought of buying a Fiber Media Converter, Thinking that I could connect to WWW using my Nest routers, But plan flop.
Previously I had 300 Mbps plan with ACT and trust me, The speeds were perfect. 290ish Mbps over direct ethernet and minimum 275 Mbps over 5.0 Ghz band from my Nest routers.

Last edited:
Looks like gigabit router is on high demand or airtel didn't procure enough units. My connection is on hold because they are unable to locate the ONT.

Googling for that number seems to be some US company DZSI (dhasa zone) I guess?

Korean company manufactured in China. They are trying to activate but have no clue how this will get activated.

Taken new connection. They failed to get the ONT activated. They will be activating the normal ONT in the evening and then change it to the new ONT.

Dont actiavte it on normal one. Wont be easy to reach them once that happy code is given.
Either keep this router too.

These are the teething problems. I won't blame it on the engineers. These days they need to configure ONT using the zerotouch app which is not supported by this new ONT yet. So it had to be manually configured. But they did manage to activate it. ONT is nice, but need to find a way to use bridge mode.

i changed my plan to 300 mbps today, airtel assigned ticket automatically for router change, was hopeful that i might get this new router but all i got was Nokia G-2425g-A . previously had Huawei one which was pretty much the same
when asked the person visited , he had no idea abt this new router and mentioned that this is the same one being offered for 1gbps plan also
@mikrotik any further updates abt this new router, hows the performance, anything special abt it ? like port is supposed to be 2.5G right ?

They did struggle a bit with the setup as Zerotouch did not work. The engineer had to call the NOC/ Backend team to make it work.

Model Name: H680GM-A
Hardware Version: DPW:G-P-H680GM-A2
Software Version: V3.2.2030065
Manufacturer: DASAN Networks

I got the 300mbps plan and got a Nokia Router...the one which has 2 antennaes....speed and range both pathetic!!
Over wifi Im getting 140-150mbps on the 5ghz band and a pathetic 2-30mbps on the 2.4ghz
Engineer has come 3 times and restarted the router about 15 times....no resolution.

Believe it or not it is your issue. No company, I repeat no company will claim full speed on wireless. Because wireless speed depends on so many factors. Be lucky that engineer came trice for this otherwise it is told that speed on wireless is not guaranteed.

Meanwhile, I am getting upto 800-900mbps on my 300mbps plan for quite few days.