Airtel: We stop sending you signal when we detect your phone is idle

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 3,514
Airtel has come down to this level!

Idle means? no calls/sms/data traffic for certain days? Its for prepaid or postpaid?
What if somebody uses phone just to get sms updates from banks. He will surely miss it unless Airtel realise that sms traffic is happening.

Idle means not in use. (not days but minutes!)

Actually above ad of Airtel is more or less fake!

Tower contacts mobile only when there is incoming phone or incoming SMS or internet activity. Otherwise tower does not have to contact mobile anyway.

It is actually reverse, mobile is supposed to remain in touch with nearby tower. Which mobile does anyway even if its idle. Just like PING in internet world. Mobile always keeps PINGing nearby tower - "Hey I am here, let me know if there is a call or SMS!". This PINGs are sent frequently

So the above ad is nothing but marketing gimmick.

I guess what they're referring to is the 3G/H fallback used in HSPA+ networks to save battery.

But, then the tech itself is like that, nothing unique to airtel.

whoever made this marketing slogan is the most idiotic genius. it fools common people and at the same time its utter crap. there will be negligible difference of battery life between airtel , vodafone and every other major network

I think more battery is drained if network signal is very weak even if phone is idle, as phone's antenna is drawing more power from battery to catch weak signal to remain connected with network.
But this still doesn't justify how Airtel claims that it stops sending signal to "idle" phone, or how they conclude some phone is idle.

The only power saving a mobile network can do is when it's in 3G network with data connection state On. There is a specification called Fast Dormancy which is when your phone switches between H+ - > H ->3G modes. If the data traffic in HSPA+ is lower than a certain amount for continuous 6 seconds, the tower will send information to go on low power mode. Since most of the phones with HSDPA or HSPA+ support it from the start, the deployment of the same on carrier network is equally important.

Though such networks are very rare today which do not support it. Initially 3G deployment years were different and Airtel talking this BS today is neither more than a marketing gimmick.