• Thread starter Thread starter boygr8
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 4,573

boygr8

Regulars
ISP
MTNL Broadband
Can somebody pls list pros and cons of Airtel vs MTNL especially in terms of1) Stability of speed via a single TCP/IP connection and not multiple conn]2) upload speed3) overall performance

@boygr8 it is not quite right to compare 'Unlimited' connection of Airtel with 'Limited' connection of Mtnl. Of course Mtnl will give a slightly better speed as compared to Airtel becoz of the data caps. Let Mtnl first come out with an unlimited plan and then ask for comparisons between the two!!

I believe the plan is out as mentioned in some othr thred here...Currently only for del tho...A lil on the higher side... Not shifting now... B) B)

Originally posted by real_india@Apr 6 2006, 11:00 AM
@boygr8 it is not quite right to compare 'Unlimited' connection of Airtel with 'Limited' connection of Mtnl. Of course Mtnl will give a slightly better speed as compared to Airtel becoz of the data caps. Let Mtnl first come out with an unlimited plan and then ask for comparisons between the two!!
[snapback]47245[/snapback]
[/quote]

I fully agree..

See limits are not an issue for me.I want to compare the 2 only wrt points listed above irrespective of any limits

Airtel is good only if you want to download lots of stuff....if you want to watch streams etc, then a 256k airtel will give u what a 128k MTNL will offer...if better latencies can mean the difference between life & death as for certain games, then you will have to either stick to LAN parties or move abroad.

1) Stability of speed is high with airtel, but the downside is that the speed itself is a little less. Like everyone says, airtel is good for downloading stuff rather than streaming.2) Airtel has 1:1 download-to-upload ratio. This is the best I've seen so far. It's great if you want to host a website or a game or a torrent.3) I don't know what Overall performance should consider, but I bet airtel has them.

Yep, MTNL has the edge when it comes to pure speed. Although if ur in Delhi, then the daytime speeds are abysmal. With Airtel though the speeds are not all that great, they remain stable. BTW, will changing the default Airtel DNS severs to some other ones reduce the latencies, or will it just increase the overall surfing speed.

@waterloo_sunset the overall average latencies that ur getting with yahoo,google etc. has got absolutely nothing to do with airtel's DNS servers. Latency depends upon no. of hops, traffic load etc. So even if u change the DNS server u will not see any change in the total latency.Total latency=latency of DNS + packet latencyOn an avg the latency i get on Airtel's DNS servers is about 20-30ms. I doubt if u use any other DNS servers u can get any better latencies. The reason for this is even if u use other DNS server your traffic is still routed via the airtel network and the DNS server is just used to resolve the URL u eneter in the address bar in to its respective IP address.

Hmmm, makes sense. However i'll try out a few dns servers just to satisfy myself 😛 I don't usually fuss abt such stuff coz am not into online gaming n all....but if only my radio played properly 🙁 VSNL's gateway + Airtel's plans&service etc. Now that wud be a sweet combo, haha.

Latencies increase with each conversion as well, PPoe has its overhead, i wonder if MTNL uses PPoe at all ?

usage wise, MTNL is better...plan wise, Airtel is... so u'll have to make that choice 🙂