Airtel V-Fiber (VDSL) - Link Drop & Other Issues [HELP]

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 63558
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 381
  • Views Views 152,443
D

Deleted member 63558

Hi, I have called Airtel 121 just now just to confirm if V-Fiber is available in my area or not since their website is now showing my area as feasible (shocked to know it's real-time updates).

Yes, 121 has confirmed me that my area is feasible for 40 MBPS now.

My SNR with 16 MBPS plan is 6 to 6.4 (downstream) and nearest server ping is 35 ms. (10 kms away as per the speedtest.net)

I have filled the new connection form for it and will talk to the local representative about the feasibility at my doorstep since it really depends upon the ground level.

But since my area's local team is not very known to have good knowledge of technicalities. I have some questions to ask from you guys.

1. Seeing my ADSL SNR, Do you think it's a good choice to move to VDSL/V-Fiber?

2. I hate high ping, slower browsing and frequent disconnection. Can I expect good and reliable service from V-Fiber?

3. Can we talk to the retention team about the discounts/benefits on the V-Fiber Plans (since these plans are newly launched but still FUP is shit for these plans still).

4. Can we setup our after-market modem + router (Asus has a VDSL Router) VDSL router for V-Fiber if we don't want to use Airtel's provided router?

5. How reliable and good your experience with VDSL/V-Fiber till now? (Please only based on usage and experience of using it).

P.S.: I'm tagging @igloo @waterloo_sunset for requesting them to check out and let me know their thoughts about the same.

Thanks! 🙂

Call 121 and request disconnection. You will be immediately transferred to a so called senior executive. They will ask you the reason. Say you are being offered so & so by another isp (eg. ACT 40 mbps 150 GB) The executive will then inform u that vfiber is available in ur area and u just need to purchase the modem and shift to a vfiber plan. Tell them bluntly that ur not ready to bear the cost of the new modem. He/she will then offer a one-time bill discount of 1000 rs to cover modem cost, Next, he/she will list out the available plans. Ask him/her to match the offer you got from ACT. He/she will then in all probability offer additional data and 50% bill discount for 6 months.

VDSL has been pretty stable for me so far and ping times have reduced as well which has contributed to making browsing quicker.. Of course it all depends on distance from exchange. My SNR on ADSL was kinda low as well but no issues so far.

Thanks for the in-depth details @waterloo_sunset. Could you please share your SNR of ADSL and SNR on VDSL?

How much is the distance from Exchange to your home according to Google Maps?

How much speed in upload and downloads do you get for VDSL? (Is that stable or there are huge ups and downs)?

Which router + modem are you using for the VDSL? (If not using Airtel's)

1. It's good choice to upgrade whatever be your stats. With way waterloo suggested your not paying anything extra so go for it. One can always rollback if not satisfied(if airtel allows) using same modem.
2. My ping improved to local speedtest servers from 35-40 to 5-10. Yep browsing is biggest improvement. Even after fup @512 browsing is snappier with vfiber(tested) as ping remains same.
3. Waterloo already suggested that and to add you can easily get Rs.400 discount currently going on which is 300for 6months+ 100 lifetime.
4. Why not however do check prices of vdsl2+ modem/router.
5. Modem stats show loads of errors however my connection is stable till now.

@igloo thank you for the inputs.

Why those errors are showing bro? Is there any reasons?

My tel line from airtel box to splitter got two joints I think becoz of that. Don't want to complaint on errors as long as connection is stable.

@igloo If you could tell?

What was your plan when you were on ADSL and How much was your Downstream SNR?

What is your current SNR with VDSL and How much is the plan?

This is my current stats of ADSL 16 MBPS Plan (with landline).

Do you think is it worth to upgrade seeing my current metrics of ADSL?

33ed4a85f19d4899916b21dfd1f468de.png

I faced random disconnections with my VDSL2 connection because of the old wiring coming from DP. I had it changed and it is stable so far. I had slightly better stats than you on ADSL and these are my current VDSL2 stats after the upgrade:

sTeTUnQ.png

@manojrk Your Downstream SNR and Downstream Max Rate was like how much if you could tell?

What is your current VDSL Plan (Data and FUP) and Speed you get averagely and Where do you live?

How far is your home from the exchange (not DP)?

How old was your old wiring?

I was able find a screenshot of my old stats. I live 300 - 400 meters away from the exchange and the wiring was pretty old, atleast a decade give or take so I had to get it changed.

BqFncXt.png

I'm from Chennai. My current plan is 40 Mbps and FUP is 60GB. Rental is Rs. 799 plus taxes including a Rs. 200 discount from retention dept.

Okay. this 40 MBPS 60 GB is a Chennai based plan or some hidden plan available for Delhi as well?

Also, Your Wiring from Exchange to DP or DP to Home is decade old?

I live around 1-1.5 Kms away from the exchange. I am not sure if VDSL 40 MBPS would run perfect without down.

By the way your VDSL screenshot shows your rate is 100 MBPS...Why don't you opt for 100 mbps?

I guess its only available in Chennai as they are matching ACT's offering. Wiring from DP to my home was changed. They also started to digup old underground copper cables and replacing it with fiber to compete with ftth players.

IDK man they are only offering upto 40 Mbps on VDSL. Anything more than that are offered only over FTTH. Besides only few customers living closer to the exchange will be able to avail higher speeds so they might offer it once the UG cables have been replaced with fiber.

@manojrk Well I don't suspect any underground work going on in our area except of Delhi Jal Board (Water Dept.).

So backend wiring is old only according to me.

But my wiring from DP to my home will be new since I am going to take new connection.

@Adidam My stats are almost identical to the ones posted by @manojrk except that I see more errors probably because of old wiring but since the connection is stable and speed is consistent i am not bothered. Like someone else suggested, go for vfiber as it won't cost you anything and if you face issues you can always rollback to ADSL2 since the new modem is backward compatible.