1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Airtel V-Fiber (VDSL) - Link Drop & Other Issues [HELP]

Discussion in 'Airtel V-Fiber' started by Adidam, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Adidam

Adidam Member
    Regulars

Hi, I have called Airtel 121 just now just to confirm if V-Fiber is available in my area or not since their website is now showing my area as feasible (shocked to know it's real-time updates).

Yes, 121 has confirmed me that my area is feasible for 40 MBPS now.

My SNR with 16 MBPS plan is 6 to 6.4 (downstream) and nearest server ping is 35 ms. (10 kms away as per the speedtest.net)

I have filled the new connection form for it and will talk to the local representative about the feasibility at my doorstep since it really depends upon the ground level.

But since my area's local team is not very known to have good knowledge of technicalities. I have some questions to ask from you guys.

1. Seeing my ADSL SNR, Do you think it's a good choice to move to VDSL/V-Fiber?

2. I hate high ping, slower browsing and frequent disconnection. Can I expect good and reliable service from V-Fiber?

3. Can we talk to the retention team about the discounts/benefits on the V-Fiber Plans (since these plans are newly launched but still FUP is shit for these plans still).

4. Can we setup our after-market modem + router (ASUS has a VDSL Router) VDSL router for V-Fiber if we don't want to use Airtel's provided router?

5. How reliable and good your experience with VDSL/V-Fiber till now? (Please only based on usage and experience of using it).

P.S.: I'm tagging @igloo @waterloo_sunset for requesting them to check out and let me know their thoughts about the same.

Thanks! :)

2. waterloo_sunset

waterloo_sunset Active Member
    Regulars

Call 121 and request disconnection. You will be immediately transferred to a so called senior executive. They will ask you the reason. Say you are being offered so & so by another isp (eg. ACT 40 mbps 150 GB) The executive will then inform u that vfiber is available in ur area and u just need to purchase the modem and shift to a vfiber plan. Tell them bluntly that ur not ready to bear the cost of the new modem. He/she will then offer a one-time bill discount of 1000 rs to cover modem cost, Next, he/she will list out the available plans. Ask him/her to match the offer you got from ACT. He/she will then in all probability offer additional data and 50% bill discount for 6 months.

VDSL has been pretty stable for me so far and ping times have reduced as well which has contributed to making browsing quicker.. Of course it all depends on distance from exchange. My SNR on ADSL was kinda low as well but no issues so far.

kkapoorr and Adidam like this.
  3. Adidam

Adidam Member
    Regulars

Thanks for the in-depth details @waterloo_sunset. Could you please share your SNR of ADSL and SNR on VDSL?

How much is the distance from Exchange to your home according to Google Maps?

How much speed in upload and downloads do you get for VDSL? (Is that stable or there are huge ups and downs)?

Which router + modem are you using for the VDSL? (If not using Airtel's)

4. maniac123

maniac123 Addicted to workout
    Regulars

@waterloo_sunset Was wondering how to patch up 200 for 5 months, but looking at your post made me try discontinue trick and it worked out. I got 300 discount for 6 months so modem is covered and an extra 800 as a compliment. Thanks to you man

Adidam, raj2007 and harshikl like this.
  5. igloo

igloo Not just Internet.
    Regulars

1. It's good choice to upgrade whatever be your stats. With way waterloo suggested your not paying anything extra so go for it. One can always rollback if not satisfied(if airtel allows) using same modem.
    2. My ping improved to local speedtest servers from 35-40 to 5-10. Yep browsing is biggest improvement. Even after fup @512 browsing is snappier with vfiber(tested) as ping remains same.
    3. Waterloo already suggested that and to add you can easily get Rs.400 discount currently going on which is 300for 6months+ 100 lifetime.
    4. Why not however do check prices of vdsl2+ modem/router.
    5. Modem stats show loads of errors however my connection is stable till now.

Adidam likes this.