Airtel V-Fiber Router cost down to Rs. 500 for some subscribers

• Thread starter Thread starter raj2007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 14,697
I'm in Kochi and I got a call yesterday saying that I need to pay only INR 500 for the v-fiber modem.

I'm a bit confused since v-fiber is supposed to be over copper lines but the person who called me said that they are installing fiber optic to my flat (they said it was for v-fiber and did not mention ftth).

One of my friend, who got airtel broadband connection 7 months ago upgraded to V-Fiber this week for free. Airtel exchanged his Tenda modem, which was also provided by airtel, with the new Binatone modem at no cost. However, his area currently supports maximum 16Mbps but airtel service engineer told that he'll get the upgrade to higher speeds for free as soon as it is available.

Initially, he was told that he would have to pay ₹500/- for the upgrade to V-Fiber. But he told that he has already got the modem which was provided by airtel. Customer service representative put his call on hold for few minutes and told that the upgrade would be free.

So, if you've got the modem provided by airtel you might get the upgrade to V-Fiber for free.

I'm in Kochi and I got a call yesterday saying that I need to pay only INR 500 for the v-fiber modem.

I'm a bit confused since v-fiber is supposed to be over copper lines but the person who called me said that they are installing fiber optic to my flat (they said it was for v-fiber and did not mention ftth).

In the case of apartments, due to the higher density of people, ISPs can offset the initial cost of FTTH and choose that instead of copper which takes more long term effort to maintain.

In my case Airtel gave me a free binatone wifi router when installing the connection as I already had an ONT installed by the company that maintains the FTTH network within our society.

Are you asking about the one I got? It is the Binatone NU-GANV5.

If you don't mind, which part of Kochi are you located in?

They have charged me Rs 500 for the D-Link DSL-224

Sometimes it takes too long to connect...noticeably longer than my other Netgear ADSL router.. I don't know if it's anything to with VFiber or the router or configuration/setting.

An uncle got this funky looking Technicolor branded router. This one has a led for update :\

NIuZ1Tl.jpg

I like the design. My D-Link with the two antennas sticking up on the sides could be mistaken for StarWars robot R2D2's grandson 😀

Can you folks with this "V-fiber" routers post screenshots or at least mention if you truly have fiber wire connecting to the router or is it copper?

Hope you can figure out difference between the two...

Airtel vfiber is vdsl sir. Same wiring. They upgrade from the box or something.

Yeah that's what I was expecting - this is just marketing term for standard VDSL which is limited to 40 mbps - why is airtel claiming 100 mbps to some users then???

100mbps is delivered through fiber of course. it is not sold with vfiber branding afaik. they are upgrading adsl networks to vdsl to offer faster speeds at same price on the same network. sadly, in my area vfiber is still stuck on 16mbps max probably because of distance.