Airtel to launch 4G in 3rd week of March!

• Thread starter Thread starter shashankre
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 46
  • Views Views 11,189
my guess....

750 - 30GB - 100mpbs.
1500 - 75GB - 100mbps.

* will get 5-10mbps speeds on an avg. , post fup@128kbps.

Reliance infotel will again bring similar plans in 500 & 1000 price points but with added extras like live tv etc.

3G prices set to drop to present gprs levels after that in a year's time.

----------

The spectrum (2500 Mhz) that was auctioned in India is supposed to be compatible with TD-LTE technology. As of today there are no USB modems or handsets commercially launched anywhere in the world that are compatible with spectrum available in India. So Indian ISPs that will offer TD-LTE will get the custom made modems manufactured in China for Indian market.

it's 2300mhz band and as of now there are a few working TD-LTE dongles in the market. tablets, smartphones will take longer.

Seriously are we 4G ready... countries like UK haven't got 4G yet.. and Even in US Verizon has been the solo provider tell recently... AT&T caught up recently... though Both T-Mobile and AT&T have rebranded their HSPA+ networks, based on 3G technology, as a 4G network...
How AT&T and T-Mobile conjured 4G networks out of thin air | ZDNet

But looking at the kinda shitty 3G network dished out... 4G sound too pompous for now... and frankly would most likely be only available in small pockets even in cities (Metro)...

Seriously are we 4G ready... countries like UK haven't got 4G yet.. and Even in US Verizon has been the solo provider tell recently... AT&T caught up recently... though Both T-Mobile and AT&T have rebranded their HSPA+ networks, based on 3G technology, as a 4G network...
How AT&T and T-Mobile conjured 4G networks out of thin air | ZDNet

But looking at the kinda shitty 3G network dished out... 4G sound too pompous for now... and frankly would most likely be only available in small pockets even in cities (Metro)...

There is difference between the developed world like US,europe and us. There 4G/LTE is/will be used just for cellular data requirements. That segment is already being catered well by their 3G networks barring some spectrum scarcity issues. Hence 4G there is more bcoz of just 'i want a advanced tech' rather than a fundamental requirement like in India.👽

here people are dying to replace their 256/512 and even 1 mbps lines with 10-15 mbps, whatever higher speeds 4G/LTE offers. At least it will be much better than our pathetic fixed line in the short term. people thought the same with 3G but the poor companies dished out a fortune for very small amount of spectrum and are now in utter mess. Neither can they offer more data nor better prices.

Airtel "The company had won spectrum for high-speed wireless broadband service (Broadband Wireless Access spectrum) in four telecom circles namely Kolkata, Maharashtra, Punjab and Karnataka". Anyone know in which circles Reliance won the spectrum?

I have'nt even tried 3G....but I'll jump to 4G..... 🙂
me 2..me 2...its like jumping from XP to WIN 7 skipping VISTA..lol

^ no 4G /LTE-TDD handsets as of now, will take at least another year for the 'custom' made 2.3ghz band handsets. then also availability will be limited as only India and China use this band. 700mhz handsets though are starting to virtually flood the markets in developed world.

Actual LTE/4G fun will begin when the 700MHz is auctioned. This is when the operators like Vodafone will bid all india and devices like the new iPad will run on 700Mhz LTE....

I read this article recently and it might explain Airtel's ability to launch 4G so quickly. All they might be doing is upgrading to HSPA+ as of now. Unlikely for it to be an LTE implementation.

An excerpt

"4G phones are supposed to be even faster, but that's not always the case. There are so many technologies called "4G," and so many ways to implement them, that the term is almost meaningless. The International Telecommunications Union, a standards body, tried to issue requirements to call a network 4G but they were ignored by carriers, and eventually the ITU backed down. 4G technologies include HSPA+ 21/42, WiMAX, and LTE (although some consider LTE the only true 4G of that bunch, and some people say none of them are fast enough to qualify.)"

Source:

1 correction, 800 Mhz is used in US for 4g. India has decided to use 700Mhz for it, as what i remember.