Airtel throttling Youtube

• Thread starter Thread starter AS Kapoor2
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 4,121
I've noticed in the past few days YouTube has been slow on and off on airtel v-fiber in my city (Chandigarh). Other than that streaming and browsing is alright. Test speeds also seem ok. Can anybody concur? Have you experienced this? Thanks.

Ummm... not throttling but more routing/peering and server issues. Like for instance, I am watching a video on Youtube as I type this and all is well, even at 4K . However, yesterday and a few days before that as well, the videos were all forcing themselves to 144p, but it was the particular server streaming the videos that was messed up. Restarting my router (to get a new IP) fixed that in a jiffy.

Last edited:
Hmm...Restarting router works for me but only sometimes. I've also noticed the speeds are perfect after around midnight. Who knows they may be throttling during daytime...and I think arguing with them over youtube would be an exercise in vain. Thanks anyway.

I can concur. YouTube player has "Stats for Nerds" where you can see connection speed. It has been below 1 Mbps. Video is auto setting to 240p.

it does happen randomly but throttling would make very little sense with the FUP in place they are better off letting customers exhaust their data watching 4k videos and upgrading to more expensive plans

I think YouTube specific throttling is done to cope with traffic during peak hours in order to relieve load on their servers, as they won't have sufficient bandwidth to serve each customer, as advertised. This is the reason why most US ISPs throttle YouTube don't know about airtel but seems like a probable reason. Speeds are "un-throtted" back at night as less devices are connected. (I was asking this question because downlading and browsing speeds remain same day & night)

Sorry for bumping an old thread but this issue has started recurring since the past 7-10 days. Any video starts out fine at the highest resolution but then degrades to 480p after a minute or so of watching until you manually force 1080p/4k. I have tried turning off adblock, using different browsers and using youtube premium. All other speedtests/streaming/pings are fine.

@ravenous24 I use chrome extension "Magic Actions for Youtube" for the past few years. It has an option to play youtube only in our desired resolution. I always set it to 1080p and the video plays accordingly. If the video is not available in HD then it starts to play in the lower available resolution. You can try it for few days to check the connection stability and disable it afterwards.