Airtel Xstream Broadband has switched to CG Nat

Styler

ISP
Airtel
Hi,

I noticed that the PPPOE IP Address picked up by my Asus Router which is connected to the Nokia G-2425G-A Fiber Modem in Bridge mode is no longer public
The IP Address aquired by the ASUS Router is not of the private range though - 100.65.189.XXX
When I check this IP address with whatismyipaddress it is invalid.
whatismyipaddress.com shows my current IP Address 122.161.246.101 (Jaipur Rajasthan) although I am in Delhi.
Has anybody else noticed this ?
This will be a bummer if Airtel goes the ACT way and stops giving public IP Addresses.

Styler

Last edited:
Oh man, not airtel also. I guess with the way they have been growing with the LCO model, its just not feasible/possible to keep giving out public IPs to each individual connection. 🙁

I was happy to access my network remotely through DDNS of Asus or dynu till the time the Dynamic IP Addresses assigned were public. I have created a ticket with Airtel to confirm if this change will be permanent. If it is permanent there will be no option but to pay for a Static IP Address.

So they facing ipv4 crunch?
Thats why i am getting noida ip instead of delhi.

They provide 100.x.x.x IP to mobile data customers. Looks like they will do the same with wired connections now. Here is my mobile data IPs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201218-123800_PingTools.webp
    Screenshot_20201218-123800_PingTools.webp
    24.9 KB · Views: 2,193
Last edited:
Okay I made a complaint to Airtel Helpline about this. They did not respond. The local Airtel Service person kept telling me that the solution would be to get a static IP Address. I just put in a request for a Static IP but even before I got a static IP next day I saw that I again got a Public IP address. Anyways I got a static IP later and I have configured that in my Asus Router that is connected to the Airtel Nokia Router in Bridge mode.
I think I will pay the 99 per month just for peace of mind and not have to use DDNS.

@Styler Have you faced any issues with your Static Public IP till now?
As I was also thinking of getting one from my ISP but certain issues make me concerned (for example, if Wikipedia restricts the editing privileges for a static IP or if the IP gets reported by some organization and gets recorded in Abuse IP Database then would one have to change that static IP by requesting the to the ISP and by paying extra charges?)

No issues at all till now. I'm happy that I don't have to depend on DDNS service to reach my computers from remote locations. If you are not spamming etc you don't need to worry about getting blacklisted.

@Styler
hey man , im facing the same issue .. i was on dynamic and then used ddns configuration to access the network from outside but was unable to do so .. when i bought static , i was able to do the same ,..
im a bit confused why that happened.. as for, when we are on dynamic ip , i followed the same steps
can u explain me a bit ?
is airtel doing something to block the access or something related to the ip or did i just missed some configuration to access the router from INTERNET ? or something like that ??
waiting for your words on this 🙂
Hi
Airtel has slowly and randomly started giving IPV4 IP Addresses which are not public through PPPOE connections by Router / Modems.
When your Router picks up a Private IP Address you cannot access your network from outside and any port forwarding will not work.
The way to check is -
1. Go to whatismyipaddress.com and check what is the IP Address shown.
2. Check what is the WAN IP Address your Router has picked up with a PPPOE connection.
If both these are same then you have a public IP Address and everything is good. You will be able to connect to your network from remote locations through a DDNS Host name etc. Port forwarding will work.
If both the addresses are different, it means the Public IP Address that whatismyipaddress.com is showing is shared by multiple connections of the ISP, it is not a IP Address assigned solely to you. Your router PPPOE connection is given a private IP Address ( Similar to how devices in your home pick up IP Addresses from your Router). This address cannot be pinged or reached from Internet.
Styler

I'll be switching to Airtel next month. Can anyone in Bangalore please confirm if Airtel is giving Public Or Private/shared IP address to Fiber user's