airtel speed jump: dec6, 11pm

oooooh i missed the money/cost debate 🙂i think if abroad you get high-speed (medium speed for them, around 1 mbps) broadband for about $20 USD - "converting" it , it should be equivalent to Rs 200/- per month, not Rs 1000 🙂 - you know, earning/purchasing power and all that blah blah...something about the "McDonalds Big Mac Burger Dollar" fundaand thats with the US, dont even dream of comparing with south korea, japan and some places in europe :-( else ur dreams will turn to nightmares

Airtel still has the upto "128 K and upto 256 K plans ...TRAI classifies broadband as anything beyond 256K. Airtel therefore can be said to the best amongst the worst i guess! that s not saying much! The US is criticised for lagging behind in broadband even though home users there surf on affordable unlimited Mbps connections. The world is now talking about Gbps.In the US I remember they were planning to offer video rentals online ....where users could download an entire DVD movie legally, and it would stay on your hard drive for about two days before deleating itself. On my 256 K connection it would take me about 3 days to just do that, therefore not many rentals possible per month is it.And watching live video content is not exactly possible on a 256 K connection.Broadband offer amazing potential.

Originally posted by Thor@Dec 30 2005, 07:47 PM
>>Simply because a lineman is not going to be paid USD 3k (CTC , not just sal) per month. I think their  CTC would be someting like INR 20K per month (sal + pension + other benefits).
Highly doubtful if a lineman gets even 12k. 8 to 10k is more like it.
[snapback]37779[/snapback]
[/quote]

I said CTC , not just sal.

8k + Lifelong pension + Pension to Widow after death + Housing + Fully paid medicals + LTA + Extra interest on govt deposit schemes

Would be close to 20k.

netfreak, it was an example. no relation to real number of subscribers that MTNL/BSNL have.