• Thread starter testsubjectalpha
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 64
  • Views: Views 10,605
L

linkin_park

ISP
Airtel Home 256kbps UL
Does that justify ripping us off? I can understand that they will be "eager" to recover their initial costs but that doesn't mean they will start charging overly for their services?[/b]

max i truly agree with you that just to recover their initial costs ISP's can't burn holes in the pockets of their consumers ..... but guys you are missing a big point here Airtel is the only ISP in India which has true broadband policies i.e unlimited data transfer. MTNL/BSNL are just mocking the term broadband ....

Look at their freggin' plans for christ's sake ... they're providing people with 256Kbps lines with xx Mb's of data xfer ....

With airtel i have even managed to churn out 60-70 GB of data xfer in a month ...
(i could provide the DU meter stats for my conn if reqd..)

I really am surprised that when it was declared that speeds above 256Kbps would be termed as broadband did the govt. babu's really think that givin' a customer 256Kbps with a xx Mb xfer limit would be a b'band experience ....

All i can say is that if a user is chucking 1k-2k per month for a "Broadband" connection he isn't going to use that fregging connection to open yahoo or hotmail accounts ...

So even if Airtel is making profits by giving us meagre 256Kbps unlimited connections, i am still happy that i shifted to Airtel as soon as it was available in my area.

All i can say is without Airtel in the broadband scene the scenario would have been much much worse.

vishalrao

vishalrao

The Global Village Idiot
ISP
Microscan, PDPL and Tata Play.
oooooh i missed the money/cost debate :)i think if abroad you get high-speed (medium speed for them, around 1 mbps) broadband for about $20 USD - "converting" it , it should be equivalent to Rs 200/- per month, not Rs 1000 :) - you know, earning/purchasing power and all that blah blah...something about the "McDonalds Big Mac Burger Dollar" fundaand thats with the US, dont even dream of comparing with south korea, japan and some places in europe :-( else ur dreams will turn to nightmares

G

gabruputt

Regular
ISP
airtel
Airtel still has the upto "128 K and upto 256 K plans ...TRAI classifies broadband as anything beyond 256K. Airtel therefore can be said to the best amongst the worst i guess! that s not saying much! The US is criticised for lagging behind in broadband even though home users there surf on affordable unlimited Mbps connections. The world is now talking about Gbps.In the US I remember they were planning to offer video rentals online ....where users could download an entire DVD movie legally, and it would stay on your hard drive for about two days before deleating itself. On my 256 K connection it would take me about 3 days to just do that, therefore not many rentals possible per month is it.And watching live video content is not exactly possible on a 256 K connection.Broadband offer amazing potential.

N

netfreak

Regulars
ISP
Airtel GPRS EDGE + VSNL
Originally posted by [email protected] 30 2005, 07:47 PM
>>Simply because a lineman is not going to be paid USD 3k (CTC , not just sal) per month. I think their  CTC would be someting like INR 20K per month (sal + pension + other benefits).
Highly doubtful if a lineman gets even 12k. 8 to 10k is more like it.
[snapback]37779[/snapback]
[/quote]

I said CTC , not just sal.

8k + Lifelong pension + Pension to Widow after death + Housing + Fully paid medicals + LTA + Extra interest on govt deposit schemes

Would be close to 20k.

M

max

Regulars
ISP
MTNL
netfreak, it was an example. no relation to real number of subscribers that MTNL/BSNL have.