Airtel Rapid 80GB 8mbps only giving 6.7mbps

• Thread starter Thread starter anupam_luv
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 26
  • Views Views 7,843
anupam - Man, are you lucky!

I too migrated to the exact same plan last month and here is my story of woes:

I initially got speed upto 7 mbps. Sometimes, it would climb upto 8 but was very inconsistent. It was not a terribly big issue for me because I did not expect the speed to remain constant, anyway.

Then the speed started dropping to 2-3 mbps, even, 80 kbps, at times. On contacting Airtel, I was told to unplug all the modem wires, switch it off and restart it. That worked!

For a while, anyway...

For the speed would drop drastically every one-two hour and I would have to do the same excercise of removing the wires, restarting etc.

Since, the last two days, however, the speed is on 1.25 mbps. Upon contacting airtel I was told something amazing - if I am getting 1 mbps speed I should be happy because it is good speed! But why am I paying for 8mbps, then?, I argued. Well, we don't promise 8mbps but 1-8 mbps, came the shocking answer. I spoke with two people and got the same response. I honestly think I'm being fleeced. While, I expect that there could be a slight drop in the speeds, getting 1mbps for 8mbps while paying for the latter is not amusing at all!

I intend to speak to someone more senior before I get to a Consumer Protection Forum.

P.S. I don't know if this has helped or not but it would be wiser to raise hell before things get even more... well, slower.

Instead of pulling out the plug from the modem and switching off/on you can try rebooting from this: 192.168.1.1/rebootinfo.cgi

If you plan to petition the consumer forum get everything from them on email. In a civil case evidence like "they said this...they said that" will not be very useful because they will deny it.

I called up airtel cc half an hour back and lodged my complaint and just now I got a reply from their tech team a that after migration my profile was not updated, will be updated within few hours frm now.He explained that for a 4mbps plan members, their profile support maximum of 6.6mbps , that is why even after upgrading to 8mbps I was limited to 6.6mbps.... Now after the profile update at their side it will support maximum of 10mbps.... so I will get >8mbps after profile update....So, as of now Im waiting for this to be done..... will update u guys when this is done...

Just got a call from Airtel, said they have updated the profile (yes they have as I can see on my smartbyte page the d/w limit increased to 80GB).... but the speed remained same 6-7mbps.... he told me to wait for 24hrs the upstream line rate will also be increased ....Devise Stats pretty much same as before...Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps): 510Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 8063One benefit I got by calling Airtel is that, now I have full 80GB to spend within 20 days (because of the profile update, which they forgot to update after migration), ...Btw what should be the Line rate to achieve full 8mbps?

I've the same plan. This is what my modem shows.

Did you get the full speed immediately after migration or it took sometime to get the speed.?

Btw what should be the Line rate to achieve full 8mbps?

Obviously equal to or more than 8mbps 🙂

For 4mbps my modem shows 5mbps (downstream)...so I guess for 8mbps it should probably be at least 9 mbps or 10 mbps

Did you get the full speed immediately after migration or it took sometime to get the speed.?

I was migrated within 24 hours and got full speed.

I was migrated within 24 hours and got full speed.

Thanks ... I again called CC and they said we have just updated the profile, so plz wait 24hrs to get speed, So I'll check again tomm...

I am still in hunt of 8mbps (still on 6-7mbps)..... last 3 days I called airtel tech team twice, the first one said the profile was not updated thats y im not gettin 8mbps.... They updated profile and asked me to wait for 24hrs and nothing happened (only profile changed not speed).... And second time I called them on 1st Oct, and he clearly accepted that its a mistake frm their end, and asked me to wait for 24hrs... till now nothing is done frm their side:My DSL Stats:Mode: ADSL_2plusTraffic Type: ATMStatus: UpLink Power State: L0 Downstream UpstreamLine Coding(Trellis): On OnSNR Margin (0.1 dB): 266 80Attenuation (0.1 dB): 145 102Output Power (0.1 dBm): 231 124Attainable Rate (Kbps): 22,316 12,184Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps): 514Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 8063Can smbdy tell me which setting might be causing limited speeds (Ofcourse I knw its Line Rate), but are other settings/stats OK? Im fed up of calling Airel CC....

Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 8063
From what i can see in your line stats, its already 8mbps
Why don't you post a screen shot of your connection speed.

After filing a requst for cancellation of connection, they acted promptly.....

Now the line rate is :

Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps): 514
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 10239

Now Im getting full speed of 8mbps :

But still my upstream speed is .48mbps... but when I asked them they said, "we cant commit the upstream line rate because we can control only the downstream rate" .... may be they are right because the upstream usually varies when I restart modem but the downstream rate remain exact at 10239, so I can't argue with them regarding this issue.
Also they have reset my download limit to 80GB so I can d/w full 80GB in my remaining 80GB.... now finding some big 720p hd movies to download on link-removed, hehe! :glasses-cool: