• Thread starter Thread starter luky_13
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2
  • Views Views 13,506

luky_13

ISP
BSNL
Hello All,
This is my first post to broadbandforum.co, glad to be here a big hi to all the members.

I recently had a Airtel Leased line (2 Mbps) installed at my office. Post installation they gave us the following (changed for security purpose, but the format is the same):

WAN IP-1.2.3.30/32
Airtel WAN IP : 1.2.3.33

Company WAN IP : 1.2.3.34
Subnet mask : 255.255.255.252

LAN IP-1.3.5.8/29
Usable IP : 1.3.5.9 to 14
Subnet mask : 255.255.255.248

I can understand the Company WAN Ip/subnet mask but i don't get the rest.
1. Of what use is the LAN IP, we have 6 servers and we have assigned static ip's to each one of those line 192.168.0.10, 20, 30... ?
2. What is the difference between LAN Ip and Usable Ip ?
3. What is the WAN Ip (right on top) ?
4. What is the Airtel WAN Ip ?

Quite perplexed, could anyone help. Thanks.

Hello All,
This is my first post to broadbandforum.co, glad to be here a big hi to all the members.

I recently had a Airtel Leased line (2 Mbps) installed at my office. Post installation they gave us the following (changed for security purpose, but the format is the same):

WAN IP-1.2.3.30/32
Airtel WAN IP : 1.2.3.33

Company WAN IP : 1.2.3.34
Subnet mask : 255.255.255.252

LAN IP-1.3.5.8/29
Usable IP : 1.3.5.9 to 14
Subnet mask : 255.255.255.248

I can understand the Company WAN Ip/subnet mask but i don't get the rest.
1. Of what use is the LAN IP, we have 6 servers and we have assigned static ip's to each one of those line 192.168.0.10, 20, 30... ?
2. What is the difference between LAN Ip and Usable Ip ?
3. What is the WAN Ip (right on top) ?
4. What is the Airtel WAN Ip ?

Quite perplexed, could anyone help. Thanks.

1. If Airtel has given you IP addresses, I think you will be able to assign public IPs to these servers so that NAT is not needed (in case you are hosting websites/mailservers or whatever) - just make sure you firewall the damn things.

2. LAN IP is the range, usable IPs are exactly what they sound like - 6 usable (presumably public) IP addresses which you can assign to your 6 servers.

3. If you mean the /32, this is the size of your IP range - effectively, this is a single IP address, which should be the 1.2.3.33 address you've been given (which answers Q4).

mgcarley said:
1. If Airtel has given you IP addresses, I think you will be able to assign public IPs to these servers so that NAT is not needed (in case you are hosting websites/mailservers or whatever) - just make sure you firewall the damn things.

2. LAN IP is the range, usable IPs are exactly what they sound like - 6 usable (presumably public) IP addresses which you can assign to your 6 servers.

3. If you mean the /32, this is the size of your IP range - effectively, this is a single IP address, which should be the 1.2.3.33 address you've been given (which answers Q4).
@mgcarley
Hi Mgcarley,
I know you have an ISP so i thing u can explain this to me . I have also the same question . So the thing i dont understand is I can use internet through the WAN IP from the airtel modem connected to my firewall. from my fire wall DHCP assigns private IP to all the clients.
So where i can use this LAN IP ?
can i directly connect another system to the modem and assign this LAN IP to it insted of WAN IP ?

mgcarley said: