Airtel is rolling out IPv6 on their wired broadband services

@a.c well, they're not to blame entirely there are costs incurred when you may have to change and/or reconfigure your backend systems and data transit equipment not to forget personnel training costs in the new addressing system. IPv6 at least on the surface is not exacly as straightforward as v4 which most have been trained in for decades. So yes, it could be extended but the future is clear, v6 is the way forward for the 'net. I think ISPs will ask for another extension of 3-6 months from 31/12.

That said, let's not forget India is still the leader in v6 adoption @ nearly 79%. Its #1 in countries with large a # of internet users including China. See here:

https://stats.labs.apnic.net/ipv6/

#1 in the world is Saint Barthelemy a small island in the Caribbean..hardly a fair comparison. 😀

Reactions: a.c
@albonycal are you the person running Arch mirrors from home?

Early morning internet started crawling. on Deco in bridge mode discovered ipv4 changed to gurgaon series while ipv6 was fine.
In Nokia ont g2425 ipv6 was back to linking mode only. Changed deco to ipv4 only and speed is back.
Everyone else still getting ipv6 ?

I'm struggling to setup Ipv6 with with Airtel Fibre and pfsense...has anyone managed to get Ipv6 working successfully with Airtel and pfsense?

thanks @panks21 was able to figure out and get airtel working with both pfsense and opnsense. I had to turn on bridge mode in the airtel router and use RA as unmanaged and set lan to track wan. I also had to enable user ipv4 link , send ipv6 hint and only request ipv6 prefix. All working good and getting double the bandwidth 500mbps after enabling ipv6.

Prefix for Airtel is 64

@panks21 So I changed my firewall from Sophos XG to Opnsense because the former does not fully support ipv6 over ipv4 pppoe yet.

I was able to setup opnsense correctly with Airtel Router in bridge mode and opnsense doing the PPPoE.
Opnsense WAN gets ipv6 and all clients get public IP in this mode.

However, with Opnsense being the pppoe client, i have noticed that ipv6 tends to get disconnected after some time.
If I set Airtel router in route mode, opnsense WAN interface gets ipv6 but LAN clients do not.

Is there anything specific I need to do on opnsense to either:
1) Get steady ipv6 if Opnsense is the pppoe client
2) Pass ipv6 to LAN clients if Airtel router is the pppoe client

Is it possible to request Airtel to give at least /60 prefix? I'm unable to segment my LAN because of this stupid /64 prefix they hand over.

@proton8454 same here. Jio also does the same. I guess it's not in practice by any ISP in India to give larger prefix. They could easily give /56 if they wanted, but I don't see any hope here. I am using /64 prefix in my main LAN. IPv6 off in the other LAN.

Indian ISPs..they don't hand out anything larger than /64. Period. Frankly for home use that address space is more than sufficient.

image.png
They just ignored it..

@albonycal they won't change these settings. 1492 MTU is the default for PPPoE connections with most ISPs. Given the size of Airtel.. it's too much of an overhead to implement in multiple systems across the country. Of course it is only IF the higher ups approve.

@proton8454 only Tata Play hands out a static v6 with /64. No other major ISP does that AFAIK.