Airtel is rolling out IPv6 on their wired broadband services

i am getting an ipv6 inside router wan and router ping is working but devices connected arent working.

@JSMFPPJK Which router are you using? Set prefix delegation manually to /64...and in LAN configuration set RA to track the Airtel WAN connection. For RA use Assisted mode or equivalent in your router. Do remember the config method varies from router model to model. So please check your router's manual.

Experience so far with ipv6:

surfing gets sluggish after few days of running ipv6.

with just ipv4 there is no issue at all. No slowdown.

Download speed remains same in both ipv4 and ipv6 so no problem is that.

conclusion: will remain on ipv4 as of now.

modem: Nokia router.

@Rickysin why do you say IPv6 became slower? Was it whilst downloading? I think it can be attributed to routing changes unless something else was messed up at the backend.

@Chip downloading seems fine. It is just that browsing sites become slow. Load time increases with ipv6 over time. Seems like airtel backend issue

For browsing depends on the site you visit...remember dont just always blame Airtel the remote site(s) can also experience issues. But I hasten to add that Airtel v6 is still in an experimental stage AKA rollout stage here unlike with TPBB and Jio that were dual stack from the word go. So your issue could be temporary in nature. I use a static v4 that works very well and frankly I don't care for a v6 address. So just disable v6 and continue with business as usual. I assume you get a public IP.

@Chip site slowdown is just with ipv6 on airtel fiber. When i use airtel 4g or jio 4g there is no issue. Clearly it is airtel backend issue

Ok so some v6 updates at Airtel. I stopped the static IP and shifted to PPPoE.

a) I still get a public IPv4 as of now
b) The router WAN (pfSense) gets a v6 IP with a /128 prefix - wasn't happening before
c) PD on the LAN gives it a v6 with /64. - standard /64 PD value, this is delegated to LAN devices on the wired & Wifi LAN clients.

All working smoothly so far. These guys are possibly on their way to meet the Govt deadline of end Dec '22 for a full v6 rollout. BSNL is still going slow.

I have been getting stable IPv6 for a few months now. So yeah! Airtel is at least progressing on some front. 🤣

I;ve been getting stable IPv6 since end May on my Airtel ONT however the pfSense router WAN port wouldn't pick up the IP, it could only be delegated to LAN and LAN clients. Now it does, so I assume these guys have changed something and now have a full fledged v6 rollout in Pune.

And I was pestered to upgrade to 1 Gig..even today. Bloody fools.

TPBB on the other hand has had v6 since the beginning but again, WAN does not get an IP only delegated to LAN port and devices. I read somewhere on this forum it is more of a stop gap solution non optimal solution for v6 rollout. Let's see what they do by end of '22.

Last edited:
^^
Agreed on that one.../56 is par for the course. Some BB providers overseas are giving out /48 also.