Airtel is rolling out IPv6 on their wired broadband services

C

Chip

ISP
FTTH: Airtel, TPBB, BSNL
LTE: Airtel, Jio, Vi
So technically it should be getting a /64 address right?
Yes that's right. The problem is I am still trying to find my way around airtel's v6 deployment. I get a /64 on Tata Play but still not sure if it is so on Airtel. Other than what I saw in the screenshot I shared I have no idea what else the PD could be

However, given the Nokia itself has a /64, those addresses can also be assigned to downstream devices, in theory, even if in bridged mode provided you have RA and DHCPv6 settings correctly set up on the personal router. Heck, with v6 there literally never will be a shortage of addresses for a very very long time to come. So I am unable to understand what the hell Indian ISPs are trying to do being so stingy. It is pathetic. Most ISPs overseas assign /48 or larger.

PS - Restarted my ONT - It is getting a /64 for sure as are downstream devices when connected to the ONT via wireless.

Last edited:
D

doineedto

ISP
Airtel Xstream Fibre
Up until the switch a few days back where Airtel pushed the new config to the ONT, my setup on the bridged router was working perfectly, with all the downstream devices getting a v6 address. Something has changed in the last few days, and my bridged router no more gets a /64 address. Now it is /128.
Perhaps we can get some help from the Airtel team. I will send them a mail soon

C

Chip

ISP
Trust me, Airtel's support don't know their a$$es from their elbows. :D When I called in Sept 21 about v6 roll out the character I spoke to was like "Huh?! What's that?" Don't expect answers from them because they only parrot the official line. Talk directly to a backend guy or one of the techs who install the modem etc they may know.

One more thing, check if your personal router's IPv6 settings to /64. Which one do you use? Not sure if it has granular control over settings.

D

doineedto

ISP
Airtel Xstream Fibre
Lucky for me I have the contact details of the local head of the tech team. I normally get in touch with him and he directly routes me to the backend team. No hassle of talking to the L1 support who don't understand what we say!
I am using an Asus RT-AC58U with OpenWRT. Until now, I was using the auto config option which was working fine. But I will now try the manual option to tweak the settings and check if it changes anything!

D

doineedto

ISP
Airtel Xstream Fibre
Upon manually requesting a /64 address on the bridged device, the device has been allocated one. Downstream devices now have correct IPv6 connectivity

Lolita_Magnum

Lolita_Magnum

🦜
ISP
Airtel-9892
Jio-55836
SlashN-208959
Hz-24940
For the past few weeks, I'm receiving IPV6 address locations from Bhopal, Punjab, Gurgaon, Delhi, etc. It's really f**king up DNS servers and resolution for me.

Lolita_Magnum

Lolita_Magnum

🦜
ISP
Airtel-9892
Jio-55836
SlashN-208959
Hz-24940
@nishantt6969

ssss.png

I

iwantfreeinternet

ISP
BSNL
Airtel Xstream (LCO)
V! (cellular)
BSNL (cellular)
Trust me, Airtel's support don't know their a$$es from their elbows. :D When I called in Sept 21 about v6 roll out the character I spoke to was like "Huh?! What's that?" Don't expect answers from them because they only parrot the official line. Talk directly to a backend guy or one of the techs who install the modem etc they may know.

One more thing, check if your personal router's IPv6 settings to /64. Which one do you use? Not sure if it has granular control over settings.
I belive jio's support is worse than airtel. I asked for jio centrum username and password to log in to the router. They apparently don't know that one can access the router. Too frustrating to talk to them. All they know that there is an app called "my jio" and nothing else.

C

Chip

ISP
@iwantfreeinternet If my experience with Jio for mobile is anything to go by then yes, it is worse than Airtel or Tata Play. As I said before all these call centre staff read from a prepared script on the phone and email replies are templated too. Don't expect thinking power there.

C

Chip

ISP
@JB701 I think they will slowly move all subscribers to CG-NAT. The reason is the shift to v6 and of course to encourage people to pay up for a static IP if they need a public v4. Hey, they want some extra $ you know. :)

igloo

igloo

Not just Internet.
ISP
Airtel Fiber
Hathway Docsis
Well their subs base is swelling really fast. And they need it for enterprise customers too. I don't blame them. Atleast ipv6 is there to rescue.