• Replies Replies 44
  • Views Views 33,828
Status
Not open for further replies.

karthik

Telecom Analyst
ISP
Airtel
Any body knows when Airtel is launching IPTV in Bangalore? Dieing to get an IPTV connection for the time shift feature!! Currently only Delhi & NCR is having airtel IPTV what abt the rest of india when will airtel launch IPTV??:rofl:

What exactly does time shift mean ? :huh:

airtel iptv allows you to watch last seven day programming of around 40 channels at any given time. you can pause rewind forward play on these channels just like you do on a movie stored on your computer. you do not have to do any recording as all the data is stored on their servers and fetched when required.

Wow. That sounds pretty cool. Something without the hassle of remembering to record on the DVR! I hope they launch this in other parts of India too. I think you said that the picture quality is good even on big screens?

picture quality is great on my 29" CRT. i can safely say it's better than the quality of zee dish tv on my dad's 29" CRT... i think it should be fine on screens bigger than this.

Great. I wonder though how long it might be before Airtel launches it in other parts of the country. They do have the bandwidth issue under control, going by their recent upgrades.

Bandwidth for an IPTV is never an issue as Bandwidth for IPTV is required from operators end to subscriber end & NOT subscriber end - (via operator) to the internet Cloud & Vice-versa...

Meaning as far as AIRTEL iptv is concerned pls do not confuse that it is coming from internet streaming. It is actually coming from airtel directly to your home via your copper landline telephone line. (Meaning Broadband internet + Voice Telephone Line + Digital TV cable services commonly known as triple play) are fed through your exisiting Airtel copper Telephone line.

Cheers!! awaiting airtel IPTV at Bangalore...!!

bandwidth is a major issue. local bandwidth that is. the wiring has to be good enough to support at least 8mbps of data transfer as airtel blocks 6 mbps for iptv. that is why i am afraid that my connection might not meet the requirements to give me 1-2mbps speeds if i go for those packages.

One more thing.. IPTV does not have limitation on the number of Channels that can be fed to a subscriber unlike DTH / HITS etc were in the channel limitations are due to transponder leased capacity in a particular satellite, here since it is coming frm a wired local end which is switched upon selection & not fed as a consolidated (all channels mixed together) signal.In other words IPTV - technically does not have a limit on the number of channels that can be fed unlike technical limitation of DTH / HITS etc.May be ... be ready to be fed with 460+ Channels that can be broadcasted / rebroadcasted as per approval of ministry of I&B, GOI.Cheers!!

hell yeah. and iptv can easily have two way interactivity which is simply not possible with dth... i mean airtel is already offering pizza hut ordering and pvr ticket booking using iptv. 😀

Admin, I am not promoting Airtel IPTV but I strongly feel that BW is still not an issue with airtel as they have recently upgraded / or on the process of upgade their network nationally for three things basically - one for IPTV launch, second for 3G launch & third for WIMAX launch. As far as the bandwidth capping on 6MBPS is concerned Airtel may be doing that for generating more demand or generating curiousity in the market, eventually such trouble may be momentary but going ahead they have already demonstrated 8MPBS speed delivery on a single pair of copper!! As IPTV / Triple play market develops (demand & revenue) Airtel may commit more investments on technology to enhance market offerings..Morever I have heard that some operators are also planning triple play via fiber to avoid the technical glitch of 8MBPS cap.. as known fiber bandwidth transmission supports up to 10GBPS bandwidth!!!Cheeeeeers again!!:thumbsup:

oh well. the wiring they have done around the country. only they know how much of it is high quality. thankfully my sector was covered under high quality wiring so i got the iptv connection without much hassle.

YES Boss... IPTV is a Two way interactive service & hence opens a hell of oppurtunity in future development of technology to subscribers.. take alook on list below:1. Video Conference call. (It is a separate service but todays technology it is already possible using internet bandwidth, but this service will be on a local BW)2. Direct cast: post your local live CAMERA (CCTV / Studio / WEBCAM etc) / studio works on live webpage (already happenning as of now using internet bw, what is new is this would be Via local net)3. TV Banking : Heard of Branch Banking, internet banking, mobile banking, SMS banking, now hear this TV Banking (reliance / dish tv has started this but not fully a two way interactive)4. TV Marketing: TELEMARKETING, order Pizzas, PVR movie tickets, flight tickets, utility bill payments, etc, etc with a click of remote on the onscreen menu. (This will be a live service unlike delayed services as offered by some DTH operators)More you can think & add left to your creativity & operators ability:urock:>>>

oh well things are looking good for the future.

the problem is STB... with the addition of new features. they would have to replace the STBs someday...

airtel treats the iptv stb as a modem/router... so i guess they would provide free upgrades. hopefully. 😛leasehelp:

----------

we all know the mess with dth stbs...

Tata Sky and zee dish tv are stuck with mpeg2 stbs.

True Airtel is treating STBs as modems / routers etc for IPTV.. But the market for IPTV in INDIA is still on a nascent stage..I.e is the reason Reliance IPTV has concentrated on more interactive services - their STB's would come frm microsoft platform & not frm some korean STB maker!! All said & done But the hell Reliance does not have copper wireline retail subscribers as Airtel or BSNL is having. Reliance is still no way near in matching IPTV delivery to end subscribers. May be that is the reason reliance is not made fully commercial IPTV launch across INDIA. I have hardly heard of any Reliance IPTV customer..Q: Is reliance really offerring IPTV? Can any RCOM IPTV Customer speak up in some thread of this forum?😱hyea:

Status
Not open for further replies.